Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot Gun Wall Lock-- Legal in BC???

Re: Shot Gun Wall Lock-- Legal in BC???

Take it from someone who has FIRST HAND experience using a firearm in self defense (Luckily I did not have to shoot the person assaulting me) YOU WILL BE ARRESTED & CHARGED, conviction is an entirely different story as "reasonable force" has many determining factors.........all the stress and financial burdens that can arise from it can ruin your life tho so be VERY AWARE of that aspect as some crown prosecutors are extremely against citizens using any type of weapon to defend themselves and will gladly ruin your life to not set a precedent for future cases regarding self defense with firearms.

As for the wall bracket lock in the original post, totally legal and even used by local firearm stores to legally display firearms for sale, I've seen an 870 in one of those at WSS Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Fair enough but I have heard of cases where people have been charged with firearm related offences etc. Not to mention if you shoot someone in your home you are not off 'Scott free' you will still need to spend years in court and money for your defense.

I am just a fan of leaving the guns locked and safe. I would rather defend myself without a firearm unless absolutely necessary. Too many grey areas surrounding it.
    I agree with everything you posted! Using a firearm to defend yourself in Canada regardless of what is happening to you or your loved ones will result in jail, courts, financial stress, etc.......
    Since we have to store ammunition and firearms separately, it would be next to impossible to arm yourself in time to protect yourself or your loved ones against a determined individual.

You shoot someone in self defense, you will need a very good lawyer! Your firearms will more than likely be confiscated as well.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/man-faces-jail-after-protecting-home-from-masked-attackers

Criminals in Canada have more rights than you know!
    Now where did I place my barbed wire baseball bat?!

the point of this is..... if I shoot someone in self defense I needed to... who gives a shit about court and jail....

Shoot the intruder then shoot yourself. At least your wife and kids are safe and not being raped and killed.
    I know guys are all "kill the guy in my house" but............you know what?
    If somebody was in my house with bad intent then I would deal with them . I would make every effort to get them to leave but if it comes down to my family or jail, I`ll take jail. Heard too many horror stories on B.C. news of home invasions. It CAN happen.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

totally incorrect but good try. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Laurp99 View Post
    I agree with everything you posted! Using a firearm to defend yourself in Canada regardless of what is happening to you or your loved ones will result in jail, courts, financial stress, etc.......
    Since we have to store ammunition and firearms separately, it would be next to impossible to arm yourself in time to protect yourself or your loved ones against a determined individual.

You shoot someone in self defense, you will need a very good lawyer! Your firearms will more than likely be confiscated as well.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/man-faces-jail-after-protecting-home-from-masked-attackers

Criminals in Canada have more rights than you know!
    Now where did I place my barbed wire baseball bat?!
    Ammo does not need to be stored separately if locked up with the firearm...

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Have a clean machette handy to put in the dead intruders hand. Problem solved.

I keep 2 on hand
    Or a replica pellet/BB gun... Can't tell the difference in a dark house...

Quote Originally Posted by bc_buckshot View Post
    totally incorrect but good try. Sorry
    34 (2) Determining Factors

This is the area where it gets grey. You are leaving it up to a jury to decide if you had other options besides going to your locked gun safe, taking out your gun, loading the magazine then finding the intruder in your house and shooting them...

Like I said before it's all circumstantial. I am sure there are cases where the use of a firearm to protect your family is warranted. However I am sure there are plenty of cases where it gets out of hand.

That's all I am trying to get across.

Best practices under Canadian Law. Your first priority when confronting an intruder with your shotgun, is to establish if they are armed and if so with what kind of weapon. This way you can respond in kind. For example if you establish that they have a machete then you need to go lock up your shotgun (ammo stored separately) and get either a machete or hatchet or equal length. It is a good idea to bring a measuring tape so you can get an accurate length measurement off of the machete. You wouldn't want to have to go to before a jury having to justify why you defended yourself with a 32" machete whereas your attacker only had a 24" blade. Same principle would apply if you happened to grab an axe rather than a hatchet. Perhaps a reasonable jury would listen to a defense if you could not find your hatchet, but you should have exhausted all reasonable attempts to find it before engaging with the attacker. Of course this is all void if you can establish if your attacker held a black belt in any recognized martial arts. Then it would be reasonable that you could defend yourself using any means necessary as he or she will likely over come any physical defense you can muster. So I would keep and extra black belt handy if you are in the habit of defending yourself with firearms. Then you can say to the officers that you saw the black belt and feared for your life.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Best practices under Canadian Law. Your first priority when confronting an intruder with your shotgun, is to establish if they are armed and if so with what kind of weapon. This way you can respond in kind. For example if you establish that they have a machete then you need to go lock up your shotgun (ammo stored separately) and get either a machete or hatchet or equal length. It is a good idea to bring a measuring tape so you can get an accurate length measurement off of the machete. You wouldn't want to have to go to before a jury having to justify why you defended yourself with a 32" machete whereas your attacker only had a 24" blade. Same principle would apply if you happened to grab an axe rather than a hatchet. Perhaps a reasonable jury would listen to a defense if you could not find your hatchet, but you should have exhausted all reasonable attempts to find it before engaging with the attacker. Of course this is all void if you can establish if your attacker held a black belt in any recognized martial arts. Then it would be reasonable that you could defend yourself using any means necessary as he or she will likely over come any physical defense you can muster. So I would keep and extra black belt handy if you are in the habit of defending yourself with firearms. Then you can say to the officers that you saw the black belt and feared for your life.
    Hmm, some good points.
    Now I'm wondering if the time I "disarmed" a knife wielder in my house by applying a Sherwood hockey stick ( I believe it was a Paul Coffey PMP ) to his wrist should I have weighed the "knife vs. hockey stick" aspect ??
    I wonder what the acceptable ratio of knife blade length to hockey stick lie is ??