Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars in the $500-800 range

Re: Binoculars in the $500-800 range

I'm using Nikon Monarch's in 10x42. I like them so much I just bought a Monarch rifle scope.

My 1st binos were Steiners 8x30. Put them thru hell on the Island, really showed them no mercy. The rubber armoring came off,lots of tumbles and falls, lots of water,lenses wiped with whatever was handy and they looked like crap but never failed. I inherited a pair of Leica 10x42's which I use now and gave the Steiners to my son who sent them off to Steiner and they came back looking like brand new at no charge. Had to have been at least 20-25 years old when they got sent in.

I agree on the steiners I also have a pair that have had very hard service. I would happily buy another pair but they just rebuilt mine for free as well.

Good point on the terrain aspect. Mostly I hunt deer in thick timber but do hunt in some open areas. I also plan on using them for fly in moose and caribou and maybe even goats. If I decide to try sheep hunting I think I would upgrade to the better stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I would take Swarovski or Zeiss over vortex but would take vortex over Leupold. It also comes down to the model you choose

I have had no issue with my vortex viper 10x42s for the price nothing wrong with them. They don't touch Swarovski but they will cost you. If you hunt a lot above tree line Swarovski is worth every $ but if you hunt mostly low elevation vortex is just fine

In my opinion the terrain you hunt and the distance you will be glassing should be considered before laying down the $. Pick what meets your personal needs and price is the best route in my opinion

But if you want to be one of the cool kids buy Swarovski even if your a thick timber hunter who never glasses over 100yards lol

I used the Vortex Viper HD 10x42's for a couple seasons, they worked great. Have now upgraded to their Razor line

$749
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by geo guy View Post
    Good point on the terrain aspect. Mostly I hunt deer in thick timber but do hunt in some open areas. I also plan on using them for fly in moose and caribou and maybe even goats. If I decide to try sheep hunting I think I would upgrade to the better stuff.
    I own or have owned 8x42 and 10x42 in many brands and much prefer 10x42 as I like the extra power but of course the 8x42 do have a slight advantage in FOV,

Here's what I have had at one time or another.....Leica Trinovid 10x42, Leica Geovid HD 10x42, Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 and 10x42, Minox HG 10x43 and 10x50, Minox BL 8x42 and 10x42, Meopta HD 8x42 , Kahles 10x42, Zeiss TF-L 10x42, most I have bought used and some new,

for an excellent binocular at a fair price its hard not to like the Meopta HD 8x42 or 10x42 for an everyday bino, lightweight and brilliant optics, their B1 model is also excellent but not as light weight as the other model or the same as the Cabelas Instinct model,

The vortex Viper HD and Razor HD have great optics also.....I have looked through them on several occasions but have not owned their binoculars.

The best optics for my eyes I have seen is the new Leica HD-B and the Zeiss TF-L, I have done side by side tests and those two were incredible, but in saying that the others were not far behind.

Where you will separate binoculars is first and last light, last fall I was using my 30 year old Leica Trinovids and the fellow sitting next to me using his Vortex Viper HD 10x42s and right at dusk I was watching a bedded Mule Deer and as the light faded I could pick the deer up easily with the Leicas and I couldn't see it with the Vortex, but his Vipers were optically brighter than my Leicas during the daylight, He was shocked at the difference in low light performance or lack there of !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    10 x 42 Best ALL around i think ! Mine are MINOX made in Germany - Excellent Quality for the Price ! RJ
    X2 on the Minox I have 2 pairs older BD8x32 and HD8.5x52, great bino's for the the price.

I have a pair of the Meopta HD 8x32 binos, they're crystal clear, super light with a great field of view.
    Slightly over $800 but I'm very happy with them.

The best thing to do is go to a store with a great selection of Bino's and try them out!

I suggest a pair of Nikons. I think they have the best glass in the business.

Where can you buy Meopta's?