Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Binoculars in the $500-800 range

Binoculars in the $500-800 range

After last season having my optics fail me when it mattered I am looking at upgrading for this coming season. I had a cheap pair of bushnells that fogged up so bad im pretty sure they still have water in them. I was curious what are the key features to get in new binoculars, what brands to avoid and highly recommended pairs. I know you ultimately need to look through them to determine what you will like, but I want a base to start my search. Ive been looking at the Vortex's, leupolds and zeiss based on my budget. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Binoculars in the $500-800 range

I would look at the Zeiss Terra's or Leupold and stay as far away from Vortex as you can. Sure, they have a no questions warranty but just look around the internet forums, there is no shortage of guys who need to use it.

The best warranty is one you don't need.

Vortex warranty does nothing for you when your optics fail you in the field. It's not a matter of if, but when.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    I would look at the Zeiss Terra's or Leupold and stay as far away from Vortex as you can. Sure, they have a no questions warranty but just look around the internet forums, there is no shortage of guys who need to use it.

The best warranty is one you don't need.

Vortex warranty does nothing for you when your optics fail you in the field. It's not a matter of if, but when.
    Blasphemy. I prefer to use first hand experience. Vast majority of the people bashing vortex have never used a Vortex product. The only time I used the warranty is when canada post destroyed the package it was in. Have had to use leupold and bushnell warranties for flaws however. Every product can have issues, I'd personally try to stay away from the lower end model of any brand however.

Iv been extremely happy with my leupold bx3 Mojave Binos for the last 3 years. Great quality, haven't had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Blasphemy. I prefer to use first hand experience. Vast majority of the people bashing vortex have never used a Vortex product. The only time I used the warranty is when canada post destroyed the package it was in. Have had to use leupold and bushnell warranties for flaws however. Every product can have issues, I'd personally try to stay away from the lower end model of any brand however.
    One of my partners uses Vortex. Half the time we're glassing I'm giving him my binos or spotter because his Chinese-made Vortex crap just doesn't cut it. At first or last light, forget it, he can't pick out anything.

Have compared Vortex side by side with my higher end optics and it's not even close.

Bird forums are a great source of information when it comes to optics. If you mentioned that you were considering Vortex over a Zeiss product you would get laughed right out of there.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Might not be exactally what you are looking for but I have a pair of leupold 8x42 Acadia for sale in the hunting gear forum.

I own a vortex viper spotter, good glass for the cash in the mid price point....however the high end stuff, razor vs Swarovski, is no competition IMO.
    KCCO

I have had a pair of leupold Acadia for the last 7 years they are fantastic for the money. Never a problem with them and they get used a lot. Yes there is a difference between them and my buddy Swarovski but I can't justify the price difference and at the end of the day I always feel like I'm pointing out more deer to him than he is to me.

its not quite what I am looking for, thanks though. I am more looking at the 10X42 and 10X50 size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Might not be exactally what you are looking for but I have a pair of leupold 8x42 Acadia for sale in the hunting gear forum.

I'm looking at upgrading to zeiss victory glass, my camo Leupold 12x50 BX-3 Mohave set is up for grabs. Still have the box too.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    One of my partners uses Vortex. Half the time we're glassing I'm giving him my binos or spotter because his Chinese-made Vortex crap just doesn't cut it. At first or last light, forget it, he can't pick out anything.

Have compared Vortex side by side with my higher end optics and it's not even close.

Bird forums are a great source of information when it comes to optics. If you mentioned that you were considering Vortex over a Zeiss product you would get laughed right out of there.
    I would take Swarovski or Zeiss over vortex but would take vortex over Leupold. It also comes down to the model you choose

I have had no issue with my vortex viper 10x42s for the price nothing wrong with them. They don't touch Swarovski but they will cost you. If you hunt a lot above tree line Swarovski is worth every $ but if you hunt mostly low elevation vortex is just fine

In my opinion the terrain you hunt and the distance you will be glassing should be considered before laying down the $. Pick what meets your personal needs and price is the best route in my opinion

But if you want to be one of the cool kids buy Swarovski even if your a thick timber hunter who never glasses over 100yards lol