Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars in the $500-800 range

Re: Binoculars in the $500-800 range

You should do a side by side comparison between 8x's and 10's. You may be surprised at how little the difference is and how much steadier you can hold an 8x. I have 10x's but if I was going to buy new I'd go back to 8 power. A spotting scope is what you really need to glass at distance.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Buy a pair of Meopta HD 8x42 or 10x42s, best of both worlds, optics as good as the big 3 and reasonably priced.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

These gear question forums can easily get confusing quick. Your hear from people with first hand experience who had positive findings and those that had negative findings. And then those that have never owned a pair but want to help so chime in anyways. This makes it hard to get good feedback.I would pick 2 or 3 and check reviews on each. Personally I've had my vortex viper bino's for 7 or so years and use them for all my hunting, be it in the mountains or the timber. Are they better than the big 3...no likely not..but I feel they work fine for what I can afford.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I'll second Keta1969. Don't sell 8x binos short. In a side by side comparo using the same model binocular I found little difference in magnification or detail. The 8x however are slightly easier to hold steady and are brighter at first and last light.

Aside from that, for your budget I would suggest you also consider Nikon and Pentax. My first pair of good quality binos were 10x42 Pentax DCF 10x42, they are very good glass. Still have em 19 yrs later with no complaints. Nikon Monarch series get rave reviews from birding forums, and are worth looking through as well. My two cents,....

edit: Two more cents, If you want to really stretch your dollar take a look at porro prism binoculars rather than roof prism. Porros are not quite as ergonomic as roofs, and not as cool, but dollar for dollar, on the lower end anyways, the porros will give a better, brighter view due to their design and the way the light passes through the glass.
    Last edited by Elkaddict; 03-12-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Stay far away from vortex if reliability is important to you. Had far too much of my share of warranty issues and frustrating days to recommend them....

Check out Leupold for sure, Zeiss terras are excellent for the money, I had a set for a few seasons and loved them. Nikon makes decent glass but has never really impressed me.
    Don't forget about steiner! German glass and quality. They make excellent products and are tough!
    If it was me shopping in the mid-range glass, it would be down to Steiner or Zeiss.
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

At that budget, keep an eye out for "off brand" stuff. WF nailed it with Meopta (scored my HDs for under $1k and they are pretty well accepted by anyone with better known glass). But if you really want good quality but at a great deal, check out brands like Alpen or the like. Sure they aren't Swaros, but for the $, are definitely worth a look (per the birders).

10 x 42 Best ALL around i think ! Mine are MINOX made in Germany - Excellent Quality for the Price ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 03-13-2017 at 09:09 PM.

What are some of the other off brands you would recommend looking at? I am just compiling a list to research and compare right now. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    At that budget, keep an eye out for "off brand" stuff. WF nailed it with Meopta (scored my HDs for under $1k and they are pretty well accepted by anyone with better known glass). But if you really want good quality but at a great deal, check out brands like Alpen or the like. Sure they aren't Swaros, but for the $, are definitely worth a look (per the birders).

Have a look at the Steiner XC binos and possibly HX (depending on your budget).
    Last edited by Duk Dog; 03-13-2017 at 06:29 AM.

when I was hunting for a pair of bino's for the $500 being the limited. my eyes and wallet, liked the Nikon monarch 5 an they were on sale for $300 I believe. good luck......