Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please tell me this isn't the POACHER Brian Martin....

Re: Please tell me this isn't the POACHER Brian Martin....

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    It is important for all residents of BC to know what kind of characters are representing the various conservation organizations in BC .And the fact that the WSSBC leadership engages with convicted poachers speaks volumes .Clearly Time for a change in that organization .
    So are you throwing your name into the hat for president or vice president to right the ship then???
    Trust me on this one as I have been a member for over 20 years and have sat in on almost that many elections. There is no need for any type of hostile takeover or to load the election room with buddies to over throw the “old guard”.
    Most of the “old guard” would be happy to hand over the keys to newer blood. The problem with this organization and many others run by dedicated volunteers is no one is willing to step up and do the job. It’s the same 5-6 people running the show because no one wants to step up. Every election there are people in the crowd (not just at the WSSBC but even at the local F&G club level) upset with how things are run. When it comes time to nominate people for the executive or directors, all you hear is crickets from the audience. Trust me, “the old guard” would love to sit back and have someone else run the show, but there are never any nominees so they VOLUNTEER to do it again.
    So “BUCK’, why don’t you give us your name so I know who to nominate and who to vote for.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Poachers fined, Trustfund benefits
    For Immediate Release

2008ENV0036-000478

April 4, 2008
    Ministry of Environment

TWO MEN ORDERED TO PAY $8,750 FOR WILDLIFE OFFENCES

MACKENZIE � B.C. resident Bryan Martin and Alberta resident Mark Greenlee pleaded guilty to Wildlife Act offences in a Mackenzie courtroom last week.

Martin was charged with knowingly making a false statement to a conservation officer. Greenlee was charged with hunting big game while not a resident, knowingly making a false statement to a conservation officer and unlawful possession of wildlife.

Both men received fines and were ordered to pay penalties totalling $8,750. Greenlee was ordered to pay $3,750 and Martin was ordered to pay $5,000. The Habitat Conservation Trust Fund will receive $8,500 of the penalties paid.

In addition to the monetary penalties, Greenlee has been ordered not to hunt in B.C. for a period of two years and to forfeit the seized wildlife (a grizzly bear, mountain goat and a caribou).

This investigation resulted from an inspection on a guide outfitter camp located in northern B.C., near the Kemess mine. The Mackenzie Conservation Officer Service determined a number of documents had been altered with regard to the wildlife harvested.

The maximum penalty for a first offence conviction under the B.C. Wildlife Act is $50,000 or imprisonment for a term of six months, or both.

The B.C. government will introduce changes this spring to the Wildlife Act that will include tough new penalties to prevent and punish poaching and killing of endangered species
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    So are you throwing your name into the hat for president or vice president to right the ship then???
    Trust me on this one as I have been a member for over 20 years and have sat in on almost that many elections. There is no need for any type of hostile takeover or to load the election room with buddies to over throw the “old guard”.
    Most of the “old guard” would be happy to hand over the keys to newer blood. The problem with this organization and many others run by dedicated volunteers is no one is willing to step up and do the job. It’s the same 5-6 people running the show because no one wants to step up. Every election there are people in the crowd (not just at the WSSBC but even at the local F&G club level) upset with how things are run. When it comes time to nominate people for the executive or directors, all you hear is crickets from the audience. Trust me, “the old guard” would love to sit back and have someone else run the show, but there are never any nominees so they VOLUNTEER to do it again.
    So “BUCK’, why don’t you give us your name so I know who to nominate and who to vote for.

BHB
    Truer words haven't been spoken. Very similar in a large number of outdoor groups sadly....

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    RiverOtter, you seem to be the most vocal "Saint" of the pack in this thread so that's why I'm addressing this to you.
    When it comes to wildlife offences my bet is that G/O outfitter convictions are equal or a smaller percentage proportionally to all offenders, it's just that the G/O is more in the publics scrutiny.
    Ive probably watched more resident hunters unload their gear on the float dock than the average guy on this forum and I can tell you one thing...a CO would have a full time job some days right there.
    In my personal opinion I think it's absolute bullshit when someone floats another mans name out on a public forum and bad mouths him.
    Why don't you post yours and we can scrutinize your reputation.
    He gave up his right to anonymity the minute he chose to poach! K

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/en...cement-summary

you can look here for anyone that has been convicted....

BHB
    Bang on the money Bob!
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    So donations to a greasy foundation make it ok to bend the rules?
    Spade is a Spade, giving a donation doesn't change the past.
    Sounds like a classic case of greasing the wheels, create an image and make some alliances. Kind of like politics?
    Couldn't say it any better myself .264

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Bang on the money Bob!
    This true of any volunteer org. Living it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    Couldn't say it any better myself .264
    This is also true. Strange bedfellows.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Truer words haven't been spoken. Very similar in a large number of outdoor groups sadly....
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Bang on the money Bob!
    Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    This true of any volunteer org. Living it myself.

I don't think RO's post has anything to do with volunteer organizational structure of membership.
    I DO think it has to do with the fact that a convicted poacher donated a hunt (as per the first line, right in the hunt description, "donated by") to an organization that deals with sheep hunting. Probably the highest level of scrutiny for any group of hunters there is in BC.

Now personally, were I to bid and win such a hunt, I would DAMN sure want to know that the outfitter had previous convictions for wildlife violations!
    Some guys take personal ethics and morality seriously. And I would bet a beer that folks like that would be pretty damn unhappy to find out after they'd paid good money for a hunt, that their outfitter plays fast and dirty with wildlife laws.

By simply allowing a convicted (not "alleged", not "under investigation", not "person of interest in this case", convicted) poacher to donate a hunt where you auction it in good faith to people that put their money exactly where their mouths are because they are passionate about the species and want to support wild sheep in BC, that simply leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.....

People expect that the outfitters who have donated hunts to this organization for the sole purpose of raising money for wild sheep to be above reproach. They expect that the WSS has vetted those outfitters and not found anything to be lacking, and that a person can be confident that they are going on a top notch hunt, with individuals that have a top quality outfit.

But that's just my opinion. I guess some folks would rather just let themselves get blinded by the money.