Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Please tell me this isn't the POACHER Brian Martin....

Re: Please tell me this isn't the POACHER Brian Martin....

One more thing, I wouldn't assume that the WSSBC directors knew anything of the poaching history of Brian Martin. Maybe they did, but I wouldn't assume it. Up until today, I'd never even heard of the guy. Again, keep in mind all the WSSBC directors are volunteers, with very busy lives outside of their WSSBC volunteer work. I doubt it even crossed their minds that they need to vet every single donor. It's a lot of work to organize and put on a convention. If any on here think it should be done better, the solution is simple: VOLUNTEER TO HELP!!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Only those who have a sheep conservation pedigree need apply to comment, eh? Sorry bud, I and ever other adult here are free to make value judgements about convicted poachers, or anyone else for that matter. Don't want to hear it, go to a private forum where dissenting points of view are blocked at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Only those who have a sheep conservation pedigree need apply to comment, eh? Sorry bud, I and ever other adult here are free to make value judgements about convicted poachers, or anyone else for that matter. Don't want to hear it, go to a private forum where dissenting points of view are blocked at the door.
    Is this directed towards me?? If so, I never said anyone was not free to make value judgments about convicted poachers.

Quote Originally Posted by souwester View Post
    Not condoning breaking the law but if Brian Martin can provide a legal and safe ibex hunt and on the other side of the world and it benefits sheep here in BC I would say good job
    We raise our kids to NOT Lie, NOT Steal, NOT Cheat and NOT break the law, then we endorse someone who embodies all those TRAITS and say it's OKAY because it created money for a good cause? Or it's OKAY because it's happening in someone else's backyard in a "far away place".

Ponder that for a minute, then go sit your kids down and explain that rationale to them!

If the "ball" really gets rolling in BC over the next few years against trophy hunters you goat and sheep hunters are going to be in the "crosshairs" real quick.
    I personally would be way more concerned about making sure organizations like WSSBC exist than making a big deal about a possible bad judgement call on a fundraiser trip.
    If supporting convicted poachers to raise money is the best we can do, then maybe we don't deserve to hunt sheep in BC.

I just don't see what the big deal is considering this hunt has nothing but a positive outcome for BC.
    No opportunities to hunt or animals themselves are being removed from the province.
    Good Job WSSBC
    Bryan was stealing from BC residents, long before he set up shop overseas. What makes you think his ethics have changed? Or, I guess it doesn't matter, because it's another countries problem now?

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Just a question, do you volunteer for any wildlife conservation organization??
    No. I'm a horrible person sorry. I do help control the wildlife population, not sure if that counts for anything.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    No. I'm a horrible person sorry. I do help control the wildlife population, not sure if that counts for anything.
    Right now about the only mega fauna that require much "control" are wolves and bears. Everything else seems to need help.

You are probably a great person, but calling an organization "greasy" when I know how much thankless work the volunteers who try and manage it undertake, is not cool with me, especially if you are unwilling to step forward and volunteer yourself to better the organization with your knowledge and energy.

Poor choice of wording, yes. Seemed fitting, more so from the association with said GO.
    And if/when I'm in a position to help such organization I would gladly offer. Just need to find some local work and a normal schedule...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    We raise our kids to NOT Lie, NOT Steal, NOT Cheat and NOT break the law, then we endorse someone who embodies all those TRAITS and say it's OKAY because it created money for a good cause? Or it's OKAY because it's happening in someone else's backyard in a "far away place".

Ponder that for a minute, then go sit your kids down and explain that rationale to them!

If supporting convicted poachers to raise money is the best we can do, then maybe we don't deserve to hunt sheep in BC.

Bryan was stealing from BC residents, long before he set up shop overseas. What makes you think his ethics have changed? Or, I guess it doesn't matter, because it's another countries problem now?

I never had kids so there is no reason to question my parenting abilities,I don't have any.
    If you don't want to hunt sheep anymore that's your decision.Too many hunters in the province anyways.

I didn't attend the convention but heard it was great.
    Thanks for the effort WSSBC

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    .But again, the question is simple- is the membership of the WSSoBC okay with this and do they feel the value of this contribution outweighs the negative aspects that it brings to to the group? Long term, will this enhance fundraising or be detrimental ?

These are questions for the membership...
    true dat

et al, BM has been associated with the WSSoBC Convention for several years, has made several presentations on hunting and back-packing to a room full of knowledge-hungry sheep hunters, No complaints. Sessions went into over-time out in the halls with lots of Q&A , no complaints . Each year there has been an OPEN AGM for all members attending the convention, no complaints there.
    This isn't the first hunt from BM to be auctioned, clearly it is an item of interest to someone in the crowd of 300+ members, or it wouldn't be on the slate at a fund-raiser.

Only from the anonymous key-board warriors of the intraweb world do issues like this arise. Real bravado, hooray
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Well I thought it was an interesting tidbit, and clearly worth questioning if anyone cares about such things.
    Not sure if you know Riverotter, but he's a str8 shooter with the best of intentions. Calls it how he sees it, nothin wrong with that.