Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kudos to the Organizations and Individuals helping the deer and elk in the EK's!

Re: Kudos to the Organizations and Individuals helping the deer and elk in the EK's!

I'd have to question some of Mark's writing. He states that "friut, corn ect cannot be digested in the winter"? Really, so when they gorge themselves in the fall on apples in the okanagan they're ok? We had whitetails on the farm come in the winter to eat hay and any grain spilled by our graineries when the weather was tough. Those deer were the fatest deer in the area. Not saying I'm totally against his column, just some points seem far fetched.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Re: Kudos to the Organizations and Individuals helping the deer and elk in the EK's!

We've got the same issues in the west kootenays with big snow levels onwintering grounds and hard crust making it hard to get at feed. Hope its not going to lead to big winter kill numbers our animal numbers have been struggling as is.

Red, I think its a case of getting too much of something when not being accustomed to it. Lots of deer never get corn or apples and suddenly gorging is bound to bring some complications. Not an issue if quantities are moderated.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    I'd have to question some of Mark's writing. He states that "friut, corn ect cannot be digested in the winter"? Really, so when they gorge themselves in the fall on apples in the okanagan they're ok? We had whitetails on the farm come in the winter to eat hay and any grain spilled by our graineries when the weather was tough. Those deer were the fatest deer in the area. Not saying I'm totally against his column, just some points seem far fetched.
    Yes, really.

The problem is bug related. Ungulates need specific bacteria to digest specific foods. Introducing new foods when they are in a compromised state can be lethal.
    Lots of documentation showing deef stuffed with hay in their stomachs, dead from intestinal blockages, etc, cause they don't have the gut bacteria to digest it.

The same applies to apples. If the deer haven't been eating apples, and suddenly that is the main/only food source, they may gorge on the apples despite not being able to digest them, due to not having built up the stomach bacteria required to digest this new food. This situation can be lethal. Deer may expend more energy consuming a food source that they can not efficiently digest, causing a negative calorie output, accelerated starvation despite having a full belly.

It needs to be recognized that emergency feeding must be done with knowledge of these concerns.
    The good intentions could cause MORE deaths than if the deer were not given a new food source.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Yes, really.

The problem is bug related. Ungulates need specific bacteria to digest specific foods. Introducing new foods when they are in a compromised state can be lethal.
    Lots of documentation showing deef stuffed with hay in their stomachs, dead from intestinal blockages, etc, cause they don't have the gut bacteria to digest it.

The same applies to apples. If the deer haven't been eating apples, and suddenly that is the main/only food source, they may gorge on the apples despite not being able to digest them, due to not having built up the stomach bacteria required to digest this new food. This situation can be lethal. Deer may expend more energy consuming a food source that they can not efficiently digest, causing a negative calorie output, accelerated starvation despite having a full belly.

It needs to be recognized that emergency feeding must be done with knowledge of these concerns.
    The good intentions could cause MORE deaths than if the deer were not given a new food source.
    x2. Know of several deer in the Okanagan that have had a necropsy done after death. Stomachs were full of apples and alfalfa yet they died of starvation. Perfectly healthy animals.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

dare I??? seems a lot of the good feed goes to the grazing cattle on the open ranges most of the year leaving very little left for our ungulates... however the cattle get fed good hay in the winter..then out to open range again to fatten up for the wallets of some..... just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    x2. Know of several deer in the Okanagan that have had a necropsy done after death. Stomachs were full of apples and alfalfa yet they died of starvation. Perfectly healthy animals.
    Interesting. I did a little homework and came up with this.
    https://www1.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_t...er_feeding.pdf
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by oclarkii View Post
    Here's the letter referenced above:

http://www.e-know.ca/regions/east-ko...k-science-say/

Written by Mark Hall, VP of the EK Wildlife Association.
    Very interesting, wonder why they still allow baiting of deer in BC if it is such a problem. Maybe it's time to change our way of thinking with all the baits and licks
    that have hit the market lately.

Something to think about......

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    wonder why they still allow baiting of deer in BC if it is such a problem.
    I thought baiting was banned in BC
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

After reading stories of starving humans eating bugs, rotten fish guts, other humans etc., I can't really believe we are killing ungulates by providing food that they hadn't eaten before. Sure, some may die, but others will survive. Not feeding them seems a bad idea.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?