Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kudos to the Organizations and Individuals helping the deer and elk in the EK's!

Kudos to the Organizations and Individuals helping the deer and elk in the EK's!

We have had 3-4 b-train loads of Hay leave the yard in the last two weeks, as well as had many people living in the back 40's come for Hay to help the animals here in the East Kootenay's. We all truely know when animals need are help who are the first to step up to the plate. Haven't seen any granola eaten' grizzly savin' protestors come by yet to help?!! Anyways just thought I'd thank all those people for trying to get the animals through the last months of this winter!
    Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: Kudos to the Organizations and Individuals helping the deer and elk in the EK's!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiarkid View Post
    We have had 3-4 b-train loads of Hay leave the yard in the last two weeks, as well as had many people living in the back 40's come for Hay to help the animals here in the East Kootenay's. We all truely know when animals need are help who are the first to step up to the plate. Haven't seen any granola eaten' grizzly savin' protestors come by yet to help?!! Anyways just thought I'd thank all those people for trying to get the animals through the last months of this winter!
    Cheers
    terrific to hear ...... Great Post

cheers t you all!

CT

Re: Kudos to the Organizations and Individuals helping the deer and elk in the EK's!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiarkid View Post
    Cheers
    Many thanks to all who have stepped up. Great job!!!
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Good on them if they are helping a dire situation....
    but what is the issue this year? Snow packs are at the normal level, right? Slightly colder but no extremes, right?
    Icy layers? Deep low elevation snow? Whatzup?
    Last edited by boxhitch; 03-11-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Good on them if they are helping a dire situation....
    but what is the issue this year? Snow packs are at the normal level, right? Slightly colder but no extremes, right?
    Icy layers? Deep low elevation snow? Whatzup?
    We have had deeper than normal snowpack in the valleys for longer than normal, then the snow hardened allowing predators to stay on top while deer and elk break through the crust, and since deer and elk are generally grazers, it is very difficult for them to find their food source as well.
    In February I was in the Jaffray area and watched a fawn try to get off the road and finally just give up because of the deep snow! Hopefully the winter kill and predator kill isn't too bad!
    Last year at this time I think I was getting new grass coming up in my lawn, this year it's still under 2 feet of snow!

Cheers
    Last edited by cassiarkid; 03-11-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Interesting letter in the kootenay advertiser on why wildlife should maybe not be fed.

First thing I thought of when reading the OP....

These people may kill more deer than they save.

The snow levels in the East Kootenay's are unbelievably deep and crusted. The snow at my place in Cranbrook is at least 3 feet deep and very crusted. It is going to be an extremely difficult year on the wildlife. Since my 15 or so years in Cranbrook, I have never seen conditions anywhere close to this bad.

Snow pack is definitely deeper than average in the valley bottoms. However, mountain snow pack is at average levels. Thankfully, the snow piled up in February and not November as in '96... An even tougher winter for deer and elk

Here's the letter referenced above:

http://www.e-know.ca/regions/east-ko...k-science-say/

Written by Mark Hall, VP of the EK Wildlife Association.