Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: jet boating the tatsenshini

Re: jet boating the tatsenshini

Provincial Park Authorities do not have the right to specify who can use the water .Under federal navigable waters regulations they can apply to close a waterway to power boats, or horsepower , or speed restrictions etc. If they are successful in getting a power boat restriction its all powerboats including their own and any commercial operators.
    Its a fairly detailed process that requires opportunity for public and other inputs and must be adequately advertised.

Provincial Parks are high handed in several waterway restrictions but to my knowledge have not been tested in court.

However federal waterways such as Malign lake can be designated as anything they want to allow. Hence commercial but no private.

I can't really understand why they make some of these remote areas impossible to visit. That part of the world will always be remote and will NEVER be overrun by visitors. What is the problem?

I would compare it to the Tuchodi area. Definitely a remote place. The river and lakes get a fair bit of 'pressure' from jet boats and float planes but it sure as hell isn't overwhelming. Anybody that thinks it is too busy to hunt should head to Pemberton during deer season.

Is a place any less wild because it sees a couple dozen jet boats or float planes in a year? I don't think so.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Actually the Tat isn't impossible to visit and thank God it became a Park otherwise it would be overrun with visitors and Industry. At its height it was receiving over 13,000 user nights per year and I'm sorry all bravado2 it absolutely required control and management. It is still considered one of the top 5 river trip destinations in the world.

Last year we applied for our permit Jan and paddled it in July. Didn't see a soul the entire 10 days. (third trip)

As far as jetboating goes.... not allowed but if it were it would be entertaining. Day one in the canyon has a pretty good stretch of class 3 in low water class 4 high water. One particular corner has a 90 degree turn. Due to size and water temp class 6 consequences.

Why not raft it and fly out before the US border?

Spent 8 years raft guiding the Tat with Tatshenshini expediting. Jet boats are generally only used in the Dalton post area. The lower canyon starts a few ks below here and is a real life taker even for experienced rafters. Above this you could access maybe 10 ks with a jet with proper experience. The mining road crossing at Dalton post takes you back into Squaw creek and below the lower canyon where river access can be attained. Rough road and river is to unpredictable to drive normal 4x4 across. Tatshenshini expediting can shuttle 4wheelers across in their rafts...this is their take out point for day trips.Check out their website to gather info on and look at pics of the area.
    I have no fear... angels follow me wherever I go.
    Big & Rich

Quote Originally Posted by 325 wsm View Post
    Spent 8 years raft guiding the Tat with Tatshenshini expediting. Jet boats are generally only used in the Dalton post area. The lower canyon starts a few ks below here and is a real life taker even for experienced rafters. Above this you could access maybe 10 ks with a jet with proper experience. The mining road crossing at Dalton post takes you back into Squaw creek and below the lower canyon where river access can be attained. Rough road and river is to unpredictable to drive normal 4x4 across. Tatshenshini expediting can shuttle 4wheelers across in their rafts...this is their take out point for day trips.Check out their website to gather info on and look at pics of the area.
    325, this is exactly what I want to do, see if Tat expediting can take a side by side across at Dalton, then we can get back to Squaw Creek on the old mining road, Ive seen trucks cross the river a Dalton on that road, but they were lifted a bit, if not then we are either flying in or hiking a lot.