Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

Re: Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    I have 1 mule buck that is well inside his ears, but he is tall and heavy, scores 186 7/8. Don't pass just because he looks narrow, you have to look at All of the antlers. Hint: a old pot bellied mule buck will be about @18 inchs from top of back to the bottom of the chest.If his G2s are approaching this and the G3s and G4s are over 1/2 this chest measurement along with some good mass-----you should be thinking about pulling the trigger!
    btridge, great comments.
    I think Jel was talking about size of frames or was it just score.?
    His thread....he will spell it out

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Re: Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

-- good point Our, I'm thinking, a mule deer hunter whose buddy got a 140 typ muley buck and has been showing his buddy it for two years and now Bud's saying I want a 150 or better to shut this guy up at the bar.
    --- Sooo -- Need to guess width, length, point numbers, frame size symmetrical, height is important.
    I'm not going for like, Bones and Crewcuts we as mule hunters here enjoy it too much to get too serious but would love to beat buddy's best lol hahaha --
    --- You posters are doing excellent posts to help the new and improved.
    Jel --- How high is a mule deer at the top of the shoulder from the ground? Guess.

=-l------> A mature mule deer stands 39 inches at the top of the shoulder, and that blows the average persons mind, why?

A mule deer appears taller than that to zeee naked eye ball.

When looking at a buck and he's looking at you, his ears are at least 18 inches wide.
    -- the biggest bucks might be 20 wide but a normal 4 point mule mature buck is 18.
    So now firstly check where the antler spread iz compared to those ears extended out
    If the antler appears two inches past both ear tips it's approx. 22 inch wide rack.

=-//----> I wood like to emphasize that with a new mule deer hunter who can shoot any four point muley buck in leh or regular season that when you see the buck iz a legal four point then no need to compare sizes of antler, count the four on one side, and shoot as best you can for a killing shot if you choose.
    Four point bucks won't hang around too long looking at you, so be ready count the four on one side and aim in a vital area.
    ---> Guys and gals that have had success and have bagged a few smaller fours might think hey I'll hang on to my tag longer til I see a bigger four, this is where guessing close can help.
    Jelly -- When muley buck hunting for four points, you must be quick and accurate, if you stand and stare, he will be gone, you have a window, " There he iz!" Now make sure you control your movements.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-12-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: BE READY TEDDY

Great comments all round!
    Ourea, that mirror picture is an awesome showing of the Best BC Muley I've ever laid eyes on!
    Many Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    How high is a mule deer at the top of the shoulder from the ground?
    I think here too you have to consider Ourea's statement: "It pays to know the mule deer in your area".
    From what I have seen there can be rather wide differences.

Case in point: The area I hunt Mule deer in over in Alberta you will find a handful of the "Top End" Bucks each year that will approach, or even surpass 400 pounds (live weight). In many other areas I have hunted them, they rarely make 250. Quite a range, and quite a spread of height at the shoulder as a consequence.

I'd suggest those big bodied fellows I referred to above will often go just over 3.5 feet at the shoulder, whereas the smaller varieties likely just 3 feet.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

=--ll--------> Mule deer bucks come in all sizes by Kamloops and surrounding places, like Louis Crick and Barriere and Savano or Greenstone or Kamloops Lake, Pinitan lake, Jay My Son Creek, watching Creek and Dairy Creek all around Kammy Double Whammy. More hunting spots then any hunter could cover in decades.
    =-ll---------> The muley buck is born and he rizes and shakes, and his eyes are opened in May/June with some earlier and later by a week or two. Does and bucks breed from Oct 20th to end of Nov.
    The buck grows off milk and searches out with mom and she shows the lil tike what and where and when to eat over the first year.
    Now lil johnny after a year old get's his first set of antlers, whoa! I am a buck 4 sure now he says to his mommy and his older sister.
    =-ll---------> It's hunting season now and John's first experience with deer hunters besides wild animals now.
    + You get the picture? The bucks who get big, are lucky and smart enuff not to get shot or mauled to death, which in the wilds can be difficult to do. The bucks that are smart and lucky get bigger each year with decent feed available. His antlers start to gain mass and weight. Spread out and up and he iz a stud buck in his area he rules, at least he thinks so till the huge buck from up Skull Mt walks in, looks like Mike Tyson on juice. 33 inches wide and Johnny says, Hey Mike, I'm outta here, see yah next year bro.
    Jel -- Johnny eats, drinks and is active and he and his crown is growing some fame -- the fighting game
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-12-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: JOHNNY"S RACK IZ GETTING WIDE

-- If your looking for a wide spread out rack, or a narrow and high rack, it don't matter when you actually see a big mule buck with mass also, thick antlers and heavy tines with at least a 22 inch spread, but long tines at least 9 inches per tine.
    -- If your new to hunting mules around Kamloops don't overthink it. If you hunt in any buck October it gives you a better chance to connect with a four point.
    -- Your walking along a deactivated road up by Skull in any buck October and you look up on the bluff and in the trees and bushes, a buck, you see his antler base and see bone, now you know it's legal, open shoulder shot BOOM! You dint need to count in any buck, and you saw the antler base and now when you appraoch, it's a whaaa? A big four point whoa! If you had to count all one side for a four, that buck wood have gone out the back door. The bucks shoulder was open for a shot and you could see the antler base with bone but could not count how many tines on one side.
    Jel -- Check real good and be sure of four on one side without brow tine, when it's four point or better only.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-27-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks for another good thread Jelvis ! Good to have the other experienced mule deer hunters commenting .! I have yet to get a muley. Here's hoping for this year !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 03-29-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Good thread for this season to look at if your after a certain sized buck
    Jelly and the Hat Racks