Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

Remember that mule bucks are called mules because?
    The ears of a mule deer are like a mule -- donkey. . wide and noticeable
    They flap and droop and perk up they move
    These ears can be used to measure if you know how wide a bucks ears are?
    Take a guess when the mature bucks ears are stretched out as he listens towards you? How wide are they on average?
    More later gotta go to the store
    Jello Bello Rocka Fello A 140 or a 150 ? -- we'll make sure you'll be happy
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-11-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: 180's R NAH HICE

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

20-20" I've heard? Seen my first real mulie buck last year, I'd guess 4-6" outside ears on alert. Missed him, still losing sleep over it...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Cool Re: Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    ... Take a guess when the mature bucks ears are stretched out as he listens towards you? How wide are they on average?
    20 to 22 inches on average, but they do get bigger Jelly Bean.

Must also consider the qualities of the overall frame, number of points, fork depth, symmetry, eye guard presence & mass.
    Usually when you see a Biggie, you will instantly know it.
    If you're spending all afternoon analyzing him, he's a likely pass...

One my Ma guessed RIGHT

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

When those stud muley bucks in the rut of all ages 2 points and up get going in end of October is the time to shine. Your looking for a four point and want a decent rack, we'll cover the ways to measure up within ten inches or so, we're not pro trophy, we're the core of hunters of a BC kind just wanting to get our muley in the season. A decent rack doesn't mean way up in the BC Books, it means a nice four you got and could be a dandy.
    Jel -- More later on my way to the store

Thumbs up Re: Learn how to guess a muley bucks antler size (on the hoof) as he looks at you

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    ... Your looking for a four point and want a decent rack... A decent rack doesn't mean way up in the BC Books, it means a nice four you got and could be a dandy...
    Not all sport four up top, although that is of course desirable.
    Here's a bow hunted Mulie that was a mere 3 x 4 yet still grossed over 180:

Looking Forward to your On The Hoof Scoring descriptions Jelly Bean!
    Hoping to learn another trick or two...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I don't have much problem judging a rack up close (within 100 yards), but out farther can be challenging. Case in point, I was studying with my binoculars a bedded mule deer buck at about 250 yards. He was a legal 4 point and looked decent from a side profile. When looking head on, his antlers were in line with his ears, but had decent height. No shot taken as I had already cut a tag for muley. A few months earlier I had a game cam set up not 20 yards away from the location the bedded buck was at, and had captured, I think, a picture of this same buck. Looking at the up close pictures made me believe this was a small young buck, unless of course it was in fact two different deer. So I don't know, any tips on judging rack size over long distances??
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

It pays to know the mule deer in your area.
    Have a couple spots in Reg 8 where mature bucks have extremely big, wide ears.
    The heads are overly large on mature bucks as well.
    This can cause you to "underestimate" width and antler size

Example:
    Mid 190's typical was just outside his ears yet he is 30" wide.
    Elephant ears of 26" threw a loop into things

The 240" buck I shared on my "A Giant "Falls" thread had 27" ears and a giant pumpkin.
    If I didn't know the buck I would have field judged him at 29-30" not the 33" (just under) that he turned out to be.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I have 1 mule buck that is well inside his ears, but he is tall and heavy, scores 186 7/8. Don't pass just because he looks narrow, you have to look at All of the antlers. Hint: a old pot bellied mule buck will be about @18 inchs from top of back to the bottom of the chest.If his G2s are approaching this and the G3s and G4s are over 1/2 this chest measurement along with some good mass-----you should be thinking about pulling the trigger!

---- I want you to be honest with thyself and guess without looking it up 1st.

------------->III How high is a mature mule deer at the toppa dah shoulder in inches? III<---------------

Smelly Jelly and the Jammerz -- Mature mluley buck-a-toid @ toppa dah Shoulder from dah ground --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-11-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: GROUND N POUND

Wow those are some beauties! I'm a blacktail hunter but wow those Muleys are unreal.