Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire ban and shooting guns

Fire ban and shooting guns

Um so what's the word on shooting rifles when rifle season opens up? The fire ban would mean no shooting in the backcountry as well. Anyone have some insight? Biggest concern is Co giving you a ticket. Here in region 8 it's really dry. Lots of concern with guns starting fires
    Last edited by butterz; 09-02-2017 at 01:21 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fire ban and shooting guns

Fire ban only includes Binary targets. There are no specific restrictions on shooting rifles during a fire ban. However out of an over abundance of caution many shooting ranges have closed to prevent the chance of bullet fragmentation causing fires.

Quote Originally Posted by matt-jenkins View Post
    Fire ban only includes Binary targets. There are no specific restrictions on shooting rifles during a fire ban. However out of an over abundance of caution many shooting ranges have closed to prevent the chance of bullet fragmentation causing fires.
    It's not necessarily the bullet fragments. The causes of most fires at shooting ranges stem from 3 main issues. #1 cause is use of black powder. #2 is binary targets. and last is using FMJ and steel core type bullets and shooting rocks or steel plates. Your average hunting rifle shooting soft lead/copper (both non-ferrous metals) bullets acceptable/legal for hunting purposes and modern smokeless powder have extremely low risk of any ignition source. About the only way I can think of would be if you have a muzzle break or short barreled rifle and are lying down in tall dead grass when you pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    It's not necessarily the bullet fragments. The causes of most fires at shooting ranges stem from 3 main issues. #1 cause is use of black powder. #2 is binary targets. and last is using FMJ and steel core type bullets and shooting rocks or steel plates. Your average hunting rifle shooting soft lead/copper (both non-ferrous metals) bullets acceptable/legal for hunting purposes and modern smokeless powder have extremely low risk of any ignition source. About the only way I can think of would be if you have a muzzle break or short barreled rifle and are lying down in tall dead grass when you pull the trigger.

I Should have worded that better regarding bullet caused fires, you summed it up much better than I

Every gravel road is shut down here so unless you site your rifle in your yard.............Luck with that. Paved roads only in the WHOLE East Koots. No lakes ,rivers or streams either. Happy long weekend.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

As an avid hunter I cannot believe some of these guys, maybe 10 percent are trying to work their way around the ban to get their hundred pounds of meat. If your hunting plans have been ruined maybe take that time to go to the cariboo and volunteer your services to those who have lost their homes and livelihoods to the fires. Go buy a side of beef from a rancher if your starving. Like I said 90 percent on these threads but the other ten need a reality check!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterguy View Post
    As an avid hunter I cannot believe some of these guys, maybe 10 percent are trying to work their way around the ban to get their hundred pounds of meat. If your hunting plans have been ruined maybe take that time to go to the cariboo and volunteer your services to those who have lost their homes and livelihoods to the fires. Go buy a side of beef from a rancher if your starving. Like I said 90 percent on these threads but the other ten need a reality check!!!
    Agreed,bottom line the southern half of province should be completely closed until conditions change.

In this August 30 release: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0255-001499

They seem to define the acceptable road surfaces much better, they also state:

With bow-hunting season scheduled to begin on Friday, Sept. 1, and rifle hunting season on Sept. 10, registered guides and outfitters are advised that the off-road vehicle prohibition does not apply to them while they’re using ORVs for business purposes. Such business purposes would include activities such as transporting supplies, setting up camps and general preparations for hunting operations. However, permitted ORV activities do not include guided clients using ORVs to hunt or gain access to the backcountry.
    It seems to imply that areas that are not completely off-limits, you would be allowed to hunt with your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by DarekG View Post
    In this August 30 release: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0255-001499

They seem to define the acceptable road surfaces much better, they also state:

It seems to imply that areas that are not completely off-limits, you would be allowed to hunt with your rifle.

Thanks guys for the replies.
    I feel for the people who have been displaced because of the bad fire season. Loss of houses and possessions is shitty. But let's hope there is no loss of life.......
    I'm just trying to get some input. I've read the gov site, about the backcountry access.
    Thanks again

Now some pinhead got a good one rolling behind Peachland. Too many ******s in the bush now days