Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $2000 Spotting Scope

$2000 Spotting Scope

Good day all,

I'm in the market for a new Spotting Scope. Have been getting by with a Vortex Nomad, but it's time to upgrade.

I have a 2k all in budget. Yes I'd like to increase that so I can get into a new Swarovski, but I've been given pretty clear direction from the boss and that's my $ limit if I want to be able to have enough extra for a good tripod.

I'm not in a rush to buy so have been keeping my eyes open for a used higher end scopes or tripods. So if anyone has anything that fits that bill they have been thinking on moving, drop me a pm.

But I also really like a couple other scopes in the price range.

1. Vortex Razor HD 22-48-65. Haven't had a chance to try the new model with the focus on the body. But I hear it's a better scope than its older model, and has a better rubberized coating.

2. Leupold GR 12x40-60 . Have tried the standard version and liked it. Haven't tried the HD. All my rifles are topped with Leupold scopes. Never had an issue with them so I have confidence in that brand. And I love the size and weight of these scopes. Just don't know if they are on par with the Razor?

Not interested in the big objective scopes as I do a fair amount of backpack hunting, so far for goats, often solo. A sheep hunt may be in my future. So portability is important.

Any advice!

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: $2000 Spotting Scope

Not sure of your proximity to the states but cabelas stateside usually has some pretty sweet deals on factory refurb glass in their bargain cave. Might be a way to stretch the 2k a bit further.

I;d go with that 65mm Razor. I've owned all 3 of the Razor models (11-33x50, 16-48x65, and 20-60x80) and they've been great. The new Razor 22-48 has very impressive optics
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Just watch on Gun Nutz or other forums and buy a used Swaro/Leica/Zeiss in your price range.

Dumping 2 grand on Chinese stuff = big regrets down the road, IMO.

There was a Swaro with a neoprene case for $1800 on Kootenay Hunters a couple of months ago. There are a couple of Leica Televids on Gun Nutz for $1775 - 2200 but I'd choose a different eyepiece than offered.

Deals are out there.

Keep your eyes open and you'll get the good stuff for a good price. Patience, it's a big purchase that you should do once, do right, and be outfitted for your lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

http://www.brandonoptics.com/Meopta-...ed_p_1847.html

Outside purchasing used, I'd say take a look into the Cabela's Euro/Meopta S2. Same scope, different bodies. Probably the best bang for your buck in that price range. They consistently get great reviews.

I got my zeiss from a member on CGN. $1500 plus shipping. Just got to keep an eye on the equipment exchange.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

I wouldnt waste 2k on a vortex or the like, as others said watch the classifieds.

Any thoughts or opinions on a Zeiss Dialyt 18x45-60?

Like has been said, hold out for used alpha glass, leica,zeiss, swarovski or kowa.
    I would try looking through them all first though, everyones eyes are different and while most reviews hale swarovski the king, my eyes prefer zeiss glass.

buy a used swaro......
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela