Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose Jerky

Re: Moose Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Ubertuber View Post
    I prefer the sliced version as well. The ground type was okay, but I like a bit more of a chew. Slice perpendicular to the grain when semi frozen and you should be good to go.
    This worked well for me as well, for deer jerky..

Been remise in posting. So put in the cure, put in fridge, friend phone with an issue with outcome that was in fridge 24 hours... fortunately no noticeable bad effect on that front.

Sliced worked well but because started with stew meat and small cut of chuck the pieces shrivelled and were pretty small.

Grinder (not quite thawed meat) and double barrel jerky gun worked really well, the batches that went through dehydrator worked better than those that went through oven. Both tore well but those from the oven tougher to chew - texture (maybe flavour) bit better from dehydrator batches. Batches that started a little warmer and ended little cooler perhaps worked best.

Five tray dehydrator too small capacity though (hence use of oven), too long, too many cycles. Now need larger dehydrator.

Shared with various people at work, started some good conversations about hunting and such. Do it again soon.

Thanks for the input.

PS - care to share the recipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    I've done it both ways, I prefer thin slices, I got a great Recipe off HBC!! I tried it in the oven and smoker, I was extremely surprised how good the oven jerky turned out, made 5lb batches!
    Last edited by lineofsight; 04-19-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lineofsight View Post
    Been remising in posting. So put in the cure, put in fridge, friend phone with an issue with outcome that was in fridge 24 hours... fortunately no noticeable bad effect on that front.

Sliced worked well but because started with stew meat and small cut of chuck the pieces shrivelled and were pretty small.

Grinder (not quite thawed meat) and double barrel jerky gun worked really well, the batches that went through dehydrator worked better than those that went through oven. Both tore well but those from the oven tougher to chew - texture (maybe flavour) bit better from dehydrator batches. Batches that started a little warmer and ended little cooler perhaps worked best.

Five tray dehydrator too small capacity though (hence use of oven), too long, too many cycles. Now need larger dehydrator.

Shared with various people at work, started some good conversations about hunting and such. Do it again soon.

Thanks for the input.

PS - care to share the recipe?
    I found as you did that the dehydrator worked best and I did add extra trays to mine, see post 9 for a simple recipe. I leave the batched mixed with spices in the fridge for 24 hours before squishing out of the jerky gun