Thread: LEH Question

LEH Question

Hello all,

It's my second year hunting and I'd like to give a go at moose. I've been looking at the southern part of region 5 and it seems like there's a ton of tags for these areas. My question is: is this because there's a ton of moose around or because the success rates are low? Would somewhere in region 3 be better where there's less tags, so less (I think) hunting pressure? I know nothing about moose, so trying to learn all I can between now and the fall.

Thanks everyone.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH Question

Less tags less hunting pressure for sure, tons of moose in reg 3 with relatively low tags in some areas but harder to draw a tag

never hunted reg 5 but I've heard moose declining in some areas of 5, I'm sure someone can expand more on that, but reg 3 is great for a moose hunt, as long as you face the odds and draw for the rut it's almost a guarantee in some sub areas

Not many moose left in reg 5. I cover a lot of ground in the winter and don't see many tracks.

Lots of wolf tracks tho, but less then normal. I honestly think that the moose numbers are so low that the wolf numbers are now dropping too.

Black bears are still very abundant.

Hmmm moose numbers are down, predators numbers are up.some areas have 24 hour a day..365 day year free for all..any moose..for consumption or sale..other areas are a bit more secluded require some effort..
    HOWEVER..during the 2 draws while moose are in rut..the moose you shoot on Wednesday at 3 pm. .could have been 20 km away on Monday when your draw opened. It's not where..it's when..mostly.
    Out west charter a plane and fly 20 minutes into any back woods lake..great moose numbers, if you don't get a draw..go north again fly in..moose tenderloins..mm mm mm.
    I also note moose leh authorization numbers are down noticeably.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Not many moose left in reg 5. I cover a lot of ground in the winter and don't see many tracks.

Lots of wolf tracks tho, but less then normal. I honestly think that the moose numbers are so low that the wolf numbers are now dropping too.

Black bears are still very abundant.
    I would agree with this

?

High tag numbers and a reduced moose population.

Is this a wolf reduction plan where licensed hunters are the tool?

Yah pays yer bucks yah takes yer chances -- it's a draw so get Lucky -- it's not anything but the draw --
    Go for the closest to where you live, if it's a chance apply then wait for the spinnin wheel to stop and the winner izzzzzzzzz Stalkalot whoaaaaa yeahhhh a any bull moose on the loose.
    It is LEH so get yours in as soon as you can
    Jellin

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    ?

High tag numbers and a reduced moose population.

Is this a wolf reduction plan where licensed hunters are the tool?
    Bull only, so it's not a population reduction plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it

lots of tags usually mean one of three things, low harvest rate, lots of animals or difficult access