Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Fear of the Forest?!

Re: Fear of the Forest?!

I’d say one of my biggest fears so far I’ve come across is how vast and alone you become once in there - now with that I’m just getting into the outdoors but I love it...I almost chase that feeling y’know. On Sunday I was hiking up Ford Mountain by myself and it felt intimidating but at the same time fun, almost like the mountain was challenging me but it won’t stop me from getting out there

Fear of the forest ,,,YES I always fear the woods on what might happen to me if I meet a bear, cougar ,wolf I am always aware of my surroundings always go with what your thoughts are (example) should I clean this animal out in the late evening on into the dark when I am by myself (NO,NO) go back to camp and get some help from my hunting party,,if a person can carry all the tools for back up you feel like you have something on you if needed to defend yourself if an encounter happened.

I look at it this way when your in your truck or car or other your chances of something happening to you is much greater the if you where in the mountains walking the lands of nature..

.................................................. ...............(All and All always think smart when you are in Gods land don't do stupid things that can get you into trouble).......................................... ................................
    Last edited by hunter1947; 03-07-2018 at 05:46 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I’ve temporarily lost my way in the bush on occasion, sat down figured it out. Surprised, then pissed at myself for not paying closer attention to where I was going.

Slept out in bear country under a piece of plastic, in the open, in a tent, more times than I can count. Laying there in my sleeping bag I certainly contemplated the bears. Now and again I expect they contemplated me as well.

Had wolves yipping around the tent at 3am while sheep hunting this past August, wasn’t to concerned, although given the pack that circled me the next day, maybe I should have been.

Yup a few times over the years I’ve been a little worried.

We got lost in Mexico City a few years ago, ended up in a really rough part of the city, mobs of people on the streets, the locals that picked me up at the airport were talking quiet and fast, they were pretty agitated. I was more than a little worried myself. They took an unplanned detour because of road construction, was more worried there than anytime in the bush.

New Orleans, wandered north out of the Quarter at about 2am, locals weren’t overly friendly, bit worried there as well.

Always have been the trail less travelled kinda guy, works great in the bush, not so well in some cities.
    Last edited by bc7mm; 03-07-2018 at 11:26 AM.

I’m fortunate that I work in the forest daily. It’s gotten to the point that I feel more comfortable in the bush then I do the city. Hell I think I go to the bathroom in the bush more than I do a toilet.
    my wife doesn’t get how I can go away hunting by myself for a week in a tent. She always says aren’t you scared. Hell no. I even sleep better
    Last edited by Brew; 03-07-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I spent many years working in remote wilderness areas and became very comfortable until I had a bad run in with a predatory grizzly. After that every sound I heard made me nervous. It took a few more years to become comfortably cautious. Now I'm having hearing loss due to tinnitus and am always looking over my shoulder as I'm not sure I would hear an approaching predator until its too late. Was way more confident when my ears worked properly.

Quote Originally Posted by RJHunter View Post
    .....Now I'm having hearing loss due to tinnitus and am always looking over my shoulder as I'm not sure I would hear an approaching predator until its too late. Was way more confident when my ears worked properly.
    Thats my problem now as well. Tinnitus is sometimes unreal. The only good thing about it is sometimes I dont hear when the better half is giving me heck.....
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I didnt grow up hunting so the last five years ive been slowly adjusting to being in the bush alone or in the dark. I find every year gets easier and now i enjoy it.

I’m not scared to go out into the bush, although I feel a bit more comfortable and will venture further with a partner, that being said I’ve gotten turned around in thick Xmas tree jungles and got that instantly sick sinking feeling in my gut, for me it’s just been a matter of stopping and back tracking and I usually end up pretty close to where I went in.

I was in the bush as a kid quite a bit and worked in the bush in my 20s a lot so no I don't really have a fear of the bush. I've got a lot of respect for it though and when I hear something big moving through it everything stops till I find out what it is. Just like anything else if you do it a ton you become quite comfortable and after umpteen dozen bear and other unarmed predator encounters with an axe at best you find out your wits are one of your best tools and that the danger is actually fairly low.

I haven't been seriously lost yet that would probably kick up the fear factor or at least be an uncomfortable feeling. These days I always have a small tarp in my pack. Like a guy I know who also worked on foot in the bush says always pack a little tarp if you get turned around late in the day it can be the difference between a shitty night in the bush or a really, really shitty night in the bush.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I could sleep in the middle of nowhere under a tree and couldnt give a crap..id sleep like a baby ..lol..im deathly afraid of downtown vancouver intersections tho..lol
    Midnight toker