Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Fear of the Forest?!

Re: Fear of the Forest?!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbar View Post
    I could sleep in the middle of nowhere under a tree and couldnt give a crap..id sleep like a baby ..lol..im deathly afraid of downtown vancouver intersections tho..lol
    I can sleep under the stars OK but I'm a little guarded since doing that in the MacGregor mountains, rifle at my side pretty bear-y there. Then that night sound asleep a mouse ran over my face. I think I screamed like a little girl. haha
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I can sleep under the stars OK but I'm a little guarded since doing that in the MacGregor mountains, rifle at my side pretty bear-y there. Then that night sound asleep a mouse ran over my face. I think I screamed like a little girl. haha
    That is the only place I have felt “valenerable” while sleeping in a tent solo. Creepy place for sure. Bear-y as it gets up there.

Cool Re: Fear of the Forest?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbar View Post
    I could sleep in the middle of nowhere under a tree and couldnt give a crap..id sleep like a baby ..lol..im deathly afraid of downtown vancouver intersections tho..lol
    then definitely stay out of Richmond!!

Definitely have a fear of injury while flying solo deep in the mountains/bush, much more so than fear of the wildlife.
    Was a bit skeptical 20km back sleeping not far from a ram the pup and I harvested a few years back. Could hear a grizz all night rummaging through the rocks in search of marmots, not 300 yds away. Maybe the pup helps, she sure liked to mark our perimeter as hers...
    Just thinking about being in the city gives me anxiety...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by RJHunter View Post
    I spent many years working in remote wilderness areas and became very comfortable until I had a bad run in with a predatory grizzly. After that every sound I heard made me nervous. It took a few more years to become comfortably cautious. Now I'm having hearing loss due to tinnitus and am always looking over my shoulder as I'm not sure I would hear an approaching predator until its too late. Was way more confident when my ears worked properly.
    Same here!

We set up a camp near Gaspard Creek to do some serious fishing & in spite of making a lot of noise cutting firewood, talking, yelling , a large grizzly charged us as we attempted to fish from the high bank. Didn't think it was necessary to be armed. The 375 was hanging on the camper jack a short distance away in an open area. He changed his mind only feet away after we both got up & yelled.
    Gave Gary Shelton all the details & he concluded that the bear's actions were predatory.
    Lesson learned-never let your guard down when in grizz country & have an adequate weapon ready if permissible.

In general I don’t have fear of predatory animals be they wolf, cougar or bear.

Been surrounded by a wolf pack near Germansen but they were after 2 moose(saw tracks in the fresh snow next morning).
    Confronted many bears (mostly black) & some wolves in over 50 years of hunting & working in the BC/Yukon wilderness but they always retreated with the exception of the one & only charge.

My biggest concerns(not fear) when in the wilderness are

1) Inclement weather with little or no warning be it the advent of extreme cold, prolonged whiteout….& being unprepared

2) Falling through the ice risking the chance of hypothermia, frostbite….
    Note that the body loses heat 32 times faster in cold water than cold air.

3) Falling in the rugged/slippery, steep terrain or over deadfalls possibly breaking a limb/s.

4) Getting lost/confused

5) Health risks
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Same here!

We set up a camp near Gaspard Creek to do some serious fishing & in spite of making a lot of noise cutting firewood, talking, yelling , a large grizzly charged us as we attempted to fish from the high bank. Didn't think it was necessary to be armed. The 375 was hanging on the camper jack a short distance away in an open area. He changed his mind only feet away after we both got up & yelled.
    Gave Gary Shelton all the details & he concluded that the bear's actions were predatory.
    Lesson learned-never let your guard down when in grizz country & have an adequate weapon ready if permissible.

In general I don’t have fear of predatory animals be they wolf, cougar or bear.

Been surrounded by a wolf pack near Germansen but they were after 2 moose(saw tracks in the fresh snow next morning).
    Confronted many bears (mostly black) & some wolves in over 50 years of hunting & working in the BC/Yukon wilderness but they always retreated with the exception of the one & only charge.

My biggest concerns(not fear) when in the wilderness are

1) Inclement weather with little or no warning be it the advent of extreme cold, prolonged whiteout….& being unprepared

2) Falling through the ice risking the chance of hypothermia, frostbite….
    Note that the body loses heat 32 times faster in cold water than cold air.

3) Falling in the rugged/slippery, steep terrain or over deadfalls possibly breaking a limb/s.

4) Getting lost/confused

5) Health risks
    Funny...my dad told me a similar story about wolves hanging around their camp one evening up in Germansen as well,
    but that was years and years ago.
    Nothing to be scared of, just a "cool experience"

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Funny...my dad told me a similar story about wolves hanging around their camp one evening up in Germansen as well,
    but that was years and years ago.
    Nothing to be scared of, just a "cool experience"
    Oct. 1969.
    Went moose hunting by myself & stayed in a small shack with a door missing. The VW was parked less than 100 feet away. First heard them howling & the sound kept coming closer & closer until they appeared. They circled the VW & the shack. I had my 308 Norma chambered & ready.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Predators around at night can be very nerve racking but I always fear the thick dense fog.....hunting region 2 the fog banks can roll in and not leave for hours or even days....and in that thick timber a man can get spun around real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Oct. 1969.
    Went moose hunting by myself & stayed in a small shack with a door missing. The VW was parked less than 100 feet away. First heard them howling & the sound kept coming closer & closer until they appeared. They circled the VW & the shack. I had my 308 Norma chambered & ready.
    This reminds me of summer camping with the family south of Tumbler Ridge a couple of years ago. It was a busy camp with 4 small kids playing all over, two still in diapers. We had a big grey wolf step out into the open 50 yards from camp, he stopped and watched us and then ran off. It made me wonder if all the kid noises attracted it and also made me wonder where the rest of the pack was? How close had they come to the kids playing down at the creek? I never worried about wolves in the past but now taking small kids out, they give me some concern.