Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of the Forest?!

Re: Fear of the Forest?!

For me, it's a constant flip-flop between being at ease and being on edge depending on terrain, thickness of cover, and the sign I'm seeing.

However, I still enjoy the wilderness and enjoy the prospect of becoming more at east as my skill set and experience improves. So far having a healthy respect for both the bush and the animals has served me well in my few stressful situations.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by shortrange View Post
    The way I see it, I'm the one with the gun. No worries. Plus you can almost always see a mountain as a landmark in case the GPS craps out.
    Depends where you are, if you hit up the thick bush from time to time, sometimes you can't see mountains or a landmark in the distance...what works for me is, by either using your compass and/or a map, the sun, or other natural navigation techniques, have an idea of the direction your heading, and if you change your bearing, make mental note of that change, and all your surroundings, and know what direction you need to get back....always be recording in your head, am I going uphill, how many ridgelines have I crossed? Streams? Do I have a map showing wetlands, and it's early May and I hear frogs in the distance, could I be near that waterhole?? Always paying attention...

Buy a good two compasses, brand name and use them always. One in different pocket.
    -- check your compass reading every so often so you know what general direction your going as you hunt along.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-10-2017 at 10:17 PM.

To add something when using a compass say we're going east to our spot, don't forget there might be a hill in between. Now do I go around it and continue east or keep going east and walk over it?
    Jel -- Your circumstance and situation can determine a change in direction to go around an obstacle but know how far to go around to connect up with your easterly directions straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    The sun iz good for seeing direction like you say Harry, butt hey, it could be snowing heavy so you could not see zee sun. Compass is best, it's magnetic and just don't stand next to your twuck when reading a compass the metal in the twucks makeup will pull the needle the wrong vay.
    Jelly -- Cloudy and dark, I have no spark
    Like I said, WHEN the sun is out, it is the most reliable tool for navigation...and you brought up a good point, when it's snowing heavy, what's the normal direction of the prevailing winds in your area? I know in my area, it's mostly from the northwest, if I see the snow mostly sticking to a certain side of all the trees, well, take it as evidence...branches on trees will usually be a little longer on the south side, but you gotta play this cautiously, is its sunlight being impeded by other trees? Impeded by a hill? But with experience and paying attention to nature, and collecting evidence from several sources of data ie several trees, the wind etc, a person can have a good idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    To add something when using a compass say we're going east to our spot, don't forget there might be a hill in between. Now do I go around it and continue east or keep going east and walk over it?
    Jel -- Your circumstance and situation can determine a change in direction to go around an obstacle but know how far to go around to connect up with your easterly directions straight line.
    Depends, if you can use the hill as a landmark, you can either go to the top, and once on top pick a new landmark in the distance using that same bearing, or knowing that the top of the hill is say your east landmark, walk around, then line yourself up with that landmark again, and continue, in my opinion..

One thing if your mixed up a bit in the forest, butt you know something inside that it's in the general right way, then if your trying to get out to the road. The road went straight for a mile north to south and you parked half way in the middle of that straight mile of road, and went in east so come out west within that mile distance of the straight stretch and your at least on the road.
    If your coming out like this then go straight west and you'll hit that road.
    Jel -- Take me home country roads to the place I belong --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-10-2017 at 10:30 PM.

brian ...... good idea. Do what you have to do .... to get yourself out safely.
    The Game Warden may have a different view of things ..... if he was to wander into your camp .... in the dark.

Now answering the OP's other question, what works for me is, I carry the attitude that I'm an alpha male out there, and I think critters can smell that confidence so they don't want a fight...most predators want an easy kill, if they get injured in a fight, they're as good as dead when it comes to catching their next meal..now I haven't had many encounters like some others on this site, ive only been bluff charged by 2 black bears, and have had wolves howling around our camp with 100 yards in the dark..if I got attacked by a griz I think I'd chite my pants lol...but the more solo hikes, fishing adventures, or hunts and solo hike in camps I do, the more comfortable I get..

For those that wear a real watch with hands ....... point the small hand at the sun - half way between there and 12 is south.