Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of the Forest?!

Re: Fear of the Forest?!

In the context of solo hunting ..... some folks just don't seem to be comfortable alone. Have noticed this trait numerous times.
    Other folks quietly slide into solo mode ..... draw strength and clarity from being alone. At ease with themselves and the natural world .....

My biggest fear is lying in a hospital bead, emaciated waiting for death to find me. As of the last few years, I have no fear of bears, cats, etc., almost to the point of some calling me stupid. I love walking forest trails alone in the dark. Sometimes I let my imagination go and freak the hell out of myself. What a rush! We humans really are pussies.

After hunting all day , I took a shortcut back to my vehicle at the end of the day as night was starting to fall. Managed too somehow cross the main road without realizing this ( wet snow and fog setting in ) . I did manage to communicate with hunting buddies via shortwave handheld radios . They drove up and down the road blaring the horn until I signaled that I could here them . I had walked over 5 kms from my original point . Now I have Hunt Buddy app and only take shortcuts in the morning ( this way I have all day to find my way back ) . Yes it is not a pleasant feeling knowing that darkness is setting in and that you are lost .

Once it's completely dark you might as well hunker down until light unless you are sure of your directions. If not stop, build fire, wait with gun ready til light. You could blind yourself or break yer leg.
    Jelly Man -- When your all by yourself in the forest in the dark, you need to stop and think b4 blundering along thru the maze.

What ya going to do with a gun in the dark. You might end up shooting something that doesn't need being shot. True enough though, if you don't know where your going, stay put.

This is a hunting forum is it not?I can,t imagine being a hunter and being afraid in the bush. When i am alone in the bush i,m right where i am happiest.What could be scary? As for predators,i,m not fond of sleeping in the tent when grizz is about. I have been lost and that is a bit disconcerting for sure.

What ya going to do with a gun in the dark. You might end up shooting something that doesn't need being shot.
    I came up with a solution for that last year. It always bugged me that my gun would be useless in the dark. I had an extra set of quick mount rings lying around so I mounted one ring to my scope and other to a flashlight. Then I simply connected the 2 of them together with a double sided weaver rail that I made out of wood. So it is basically a scope mounted flashlight. It is a surprising solid mount. I slap the flashlight on when I have decided that it is too dark to continue hunting and hike on out with the piece of mind that my weapon will at least be usable if needs be.

brian that's smart, good thinkin dood. Hunters are very intelligent beings.
    Jelman -- I see the light --

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I definitely get worried (scared?) when I get turned around or can't seem to find my way "back" to a spot that I'm expecting to. I should get better with a compass. That's certain. But GPS has saved me more than once.
    That's definitely a good idea, and it's not that difficult to learn...and there's the sun, if it's out, when you learn to use it as your compass, it's the most reliable of all...

The sun iz good for seeing direction like you say Harry, butt hey, it could be snowing heavy so you could not see zee sun. Compass is best, it's magnetic and just don't stand next to your twuck when reading a compass the metal in the twucks makeup will pull the needle the wrong vay.
    Jelly -- Cloudy and dark, I have no spark