Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of the Forest?!

Fear of the Forest?!

I've discussed this topic with numerous individuals recently and thought I would see what the rest of you think....
    It appears that a rather large number of people (including MANY hunters) have a debilitating fear of wandering off into the woods and getting lost, running into a bear, etc. I had the good fortune of growing up hunting in a province with no apex carnivores to worry about. Leaving well before dawn and getting home long after dark were routine even as a child (I was taught to be proficient with a compass very early on) and I have carried that confidence with me even after moving to the West and continuing my passion for the outdoors. I have had multiple close encounters with grizzlies and cougars but have never worried about running into them prior to heading into the bush. Am I the exception or the rule?
    What do YOU do to counter your fears? Do YOU worry about bears or cats? Why do so many people stick to the well trodden paths instead of taking roads less travelled?
    Just trying to generate some discussion and possibly ease some concerns for those out there who want to reach farther but are holding themselves back.
    I wonder what's over that next ridge?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fear of the Forest?!

I'm fine during daylight, and when walking at night I typically whistle a cheerful tune, both to let bears know I'm nearby and it keeps my mind from overthinking the little twig snaps and crunching of leaves off in the distance.

Most people that I talk to that are scared of the bush just haven't spent much time there, especially city dwellers.

I don't have many friends that aren't fairly comfortable in the bush, I don't know who you have been talking to!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

out and about in the thickets/maple ridge

only fears i have in the bush are injuries. I'm usually solo so if something happens to me where i hunt, it may be awhile before I'm found if at all. wife is trying to talk me into one of them delorne inreach things. but it's just one more thing to pack into the woods.

though, i once had a squirrel run up my pant leg and started my short lived dancing career. always fearful of one going for nutz.

I've been charged by a grizz ( only my hunting partners had a rifle),
    I've been sleeping in my tent alone in the mtns and had a bear run into my tent.
    Ive had two cougers stalk me at dusk ( 12 steps away) and had to chase them away three times that eve while alone tenting and only had my bow and bear spray with me.
    I think that's a good reason to respect the dangers that are in the mtns, am I scared? No. I am highly aware of my surroundings and take as much care as I can to be safe though.
    Bow hunting solo, tenting in the mtns makes me feel alive!!

The Jaws syndrome. lol But its amazing how the woods come alive in the dark.

allan you sound like a bushman for sure -- Not too many people could do that for a night never mind a week, or in a flimsy tent in Grizz country.
    -- I carry a rifle in the bush year round now if I go out hiking etc.
    -- never was a mountain dweller like yerself, I wood be freaked for sure --
    Carry a gun and watch around and stop and listen real closely for an attack of any sort --

The trip I had my Couger encounter, I was too lazy to pack a firearm. 12 ga are heavy....
    i don't consider myself a woodsman, ( I don't get enough time to do what I'm passionate about)
    but when I get out there, it's always an adventure!!

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Although I respect the potential dangers of spending time 'in the woods' both during the day,
    and at night, I've never been afraid that predators were about to get me. Other than when I
    carried a rifle in a scabbard when I used to horseback in the mountains, unless I am hunting,
    I very seldom carry a firearm. I've had cougars check me out and try for my horse, I've had
    bears check out my solo camps, and have had both wolf and large coyote packs all around me
    while they serenaded the night away. When riding a bicycle through the northern Cascades I
    had to camp amongst high populations of grizzlies and had a wolf pack howling within 100 yds
    of my tent but at no time did I worry about being attacked. Remaining alert to your surroundings
    and keeping an absolute clean camp goes a long way in keeping out of trouble.

Huh, what fears? They are afraid of me!