Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of the Forest?!

Re: Fear of the Forest?!

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    people are not honest..with themselves or others. It is a high percentage that are not comfortable in the woods.
    Yes, but the folks posting here are hunters, and we spend a lot more time in the woods than most people. Nothing makes you comfortable in the woods like spending time in the woods.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

I have a strong opinion on this matter....it comes down to my belief that there are two types of people.....those that feel man is part of nature and those that feel we are separate from nature.....people that feel man is a part of nature come in two types..ones that were indoctrinated as children (grew up with the woods/nature part of their life)... and those that later learned to appreciate what nature has to offer.......

Anyone who has seen these two different types of people (that consider man part of nature) will be able to easily tell by their reactions to the most beautiful places nature has to offer (what I call "places of power")....some will be excited and rant and rave about being "blown away" while others will get quiet and softly flash a smile of contentment... I would be the quiet contented type that is drawing nourishment for my soul from the "place of power"

You hunters who have been in the real wilderness like some here are definitely a certain breed of human.
    Hats off to you hunters above who have seen the real thing. Me PG was my wilderness moose hunt but from a road haha.
    I don't like boating or canoeing never did, feel weak on water.
    I can swim good but fall in those lakes and now better know.
    Horses are too big and strong for my liking, I sound like a woose lol, but hey some women can handle a huge packhorse like she was makin bacon and eggs.
    Jel -- Around Kammy is my huntin for mules and moose and I can be home in an hour or two.
    You real wilderness hunters are a different breed of cat -- tuff and ruff -- survival experts.
    - PROUD of you, you are Top Dawg -
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-10-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Oh yes....crossing a river at night in the dark!
    Just remember, that by the end of the day, the river is higher then it was at night.
    Not so bad, if you lay some logs down, so that you know where to walk in from,
    and pointed in the direction you want to head to.
    Also have a log on the other side, same thing etc.
    BUT, it's a whole other story when you zig zagged your way across....lets just say, cross before
    it is dark....trust me.
    One other time that scared me more then ever, was being stuck right in a frickin electrical storm!
    That was the most scared I ever got in the woods.

people are not honest..with themselves or others. It is a high percentage that are not comfortable in the woods.
    I think being uncomfortable and having a fear of something are two separate things. Ill be honest, walking alone through the woods I am definitely anxious. Paying attention for bears, cougars ect. The anxiety is knowing that most predators see me and ill probably never see them. So yeah that's not comforting but its that little bit of anxiety that got me blood line to where I am today. I would think most people in the bush have a bit of fight or flight going on in the back of their mind. I don't think the "fear" becomes an issue until the day that fight or flight is called upon
    perseverance pays off

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by IslandBC View Post
    I think being uncomfortable and having a fear of something are two separate things. Ill be honest, walking alone through the woods I am definitely anxious. Paying attention for bears, cougars ect. The anxiety is knowing that most predators see me and ill probably never see them. So yeah that's not comforting but its that little bit of anxiety that got me blood line to where I am today. I would think most people in the bush have a bit of fight or flight going on in the back of their mind. I don't think the "fear" becomes an issue until the day that fight or flight is called upon
    That pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by keoke View Post

Im personally more scared of ticks than cougars and bears.
    THIS! If you carry a bear and cougar tag you probably won't see one but you are not likely to go through a spring without ticks on you. I'd sooner deal with a bear or cougar attack than Lyme again.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

IME, this is usually true and I have been and still sometimes am afraid in the bush.

When alone for 3 months in very remote BC wilderness, no air access due to severe weather and having your abode struck by lightning, twice in my bush years, even some *tough* guys here might be afraid a bit......

*Fear* is a tool and only morons and poseurs do not feel it sometimes, a couple of incidents in the Kootenay mountains while alone on 5 day snowshow treks where avalanches were involved taught me about fear.......

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I have a strong opinion on this matter....it comes down to my belief that there are two types of people.....those that feel man is part of nature and those that feel we are separate from nature.....people that feel man is a part of nature come in two types..ones that were indoctrinated as children (grew up with the woods/nature part of their life)... and those that later learned to appreciate what nature has to offer.......

Anyone who has seen these two different types of people (that consider man part of nature) will be able to easily tell by their reactions to the most beautiful places nature has to offer (what I call "places of power")....some will be excited and rant and rave about being "blown away" while others will get quiet and softly flash a smile of contentment... I would be the quiet contented type that is drawing nourishment for my soul from the "place of power"
    I've never really thought about it that way but now that you've stated it so eloquently, I think you've pretty well summed it up.
    Well done. I hope to impart those same feelings upon my young Grandaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeStandMan View Post
    Yes, but the folks posting here are hunters, and we spend a lot more time in the woods than most people. Nothing makes you comfortable in the woods like spending time in the woods.
    Met a lot of hunters who can't spend a night in the bush solo let alone a week. A fair number also stress about predators. Would say there is a lot of hunters who are too worried to go 5km off the road. Met a lot of seasoned hunters that I would say fear the bush at some level.

I even know loggers that won't leave the tracks of their machine to take a crap if it's dark lol

Have to agree with hoshur