Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of the Forest?!

Re: Fear of the Forest?!

Yeah I'm scared of getting the shits and running out of shit tickets. Bears are scared of my smell!

I had a guy at work scared to change his flat tire on the squamish fsr because of the possibility of a bear.

Im personally more scared of ticks than cougars and bears.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

For myself very little bothers me out there and I've done a bit of solo stuff too.
    I haven't observed anyone paranoid of bears or anything I'd directly call fears. What I have observed is the remoteness of our location, or the solitude and being away from loved ones completely break a guy down, like crying and begging to go home early. I felt bad for him, he just wanted to go back to his wife and kids but he got over it and we had a good hunt.

I definitely get worried (scared?) when I get turned around or can't seem to find my way "back" to a spot that I'm expecting to. I should get better with a compass. That's certain. But GPS has saved me more than once.

The way I see it, I'm the one with the gun. No worries. Plus you can almost always see a mountain as a landmark in case the GPS craps out.

Have hunted solo for many years ....
    Use your head. Intuition becomes more acute .....
    As mentioned in an earlier post .... older now, and the possibility of injury is a concern.

A solo hunt isn't for everyone .... finding your comfort level may take a few tries.
    Above all .... enjoy yourself.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

When cycling through Alaska I caught up to a 60 (give or take) year old x-sergeant for New York City.
    He had started from Juneau and had several bells attached to his boots in the hope they scared bears
    away. Friends and family in New York had filled him with scary stories and warned him that grizzlies were
    behind every tree. He was greatly relieved when I allowed him to ride and camp with me until he was out
    of the mountains. I don't blame him though because he had never been away from that city in his life yet
    he had summoned the courage to cycle across the continent on his way back home.

When I was a young boy maybe 9 years old I got really turned around about two miles back of the cottage. I had been out stump shooting with my bow kind of lost track of directions. I was scared senseless for a bit. Dad had always told me in that situation the best thing to do is sit down wait. So I sat down and waited. Around dusk I heard the faint sound of an outboard (I knew it was an Merc) and walked out to the river about a 250 yards from the cottage. It was very dark by the time I got back and my dad was pissed because I'd upset my mother, who got really mad at me???? In my defense I told him I was late because I did what he told me to do (sit and wait) he looked at me for a couple minutes and laughed. He knew I'd been lost and freaked out. So what did I learn? When turned around it helps to just sit down and try to relax so you can think, listen for familiar sounds, always carry fire sticks, a whistle, a compass (GPS these days), and... shit tickets!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

i always have a dog with me..that is probably the greatest comfort there is...he will tell me well in advance if somethings not right,if i didnt have my dog i might be a little paranoid
    "Winter is coming"- Ned stark

Hmmmm spent my adult life roaming the woods..hunting fishing, exploring..a few walks into the woods had ed towards the Bella Coola river in the am in search of salmon was a bit sketchy hearing grizzlies bolt off the trail. .
    Worst experience ever? Being in the thick woods and a overwhelming sense that i shouldn't be there..no specific noise or event, just those spidey" senses screaming to me that I should not be there.
    I listened, and went home.
    Years ago waaaaaay up in the mountains I was in my tent getting ready for sleep..when i heard human steps approaching my tent..
    Then a voice asking if his wife was in there?
    I answered NO..
    the voice then asked if I was sure..lol
    Caribou running by my tent pulling out the guy ropes did get my instant attention..
    I still get anxious from time to time..Kwatna river 6 miles up can be difficult with 40 grizzlies roaming around water noise masks bear traffic..Kwatna is the exception for me..
    Cheers
    Steven