Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First decent pack for a beginner?

Re: First decent pack for a beginner?

Yup, these Cabelas are THE place to start, IMHO, and I used many Camp Trails, one Fjallraven and about four Dana Design Terraframe packs from 1968 and still have one DDTF modded.

If, you want to get into the *kewl* gear trip. fine, there are a FEW things that a $1000.00 pack from some of the big names can do better than the Cabelas, mostly in mountaineering applications, but, for basic meat hauling and overall hunting, the high cost is not really worth it, IMHO.

We often seem to agonize over every little item of gear and spend ridiculous coin on it. I used my own gear for many years working in the wilderness and so have used a lot of different packs, etc.; quite frankly, with todays outstanding gear and choices, there are LOTS of options that will-do work just fine.

I started with Trapper Nelson wooden and canvas packs, my mother bought me my own frame and bag for Christmas, just after I shot my first deer, 1964, aged 18 and I did just fine with it until it was stolen and I replaced it with my first Camp Trails magnesium frame and full bag in the summer of 1968.

This, was before padded waistbelts and the CT pack was LESS comfortable than the TN had been...........I have found some contemporary packs much the same over the intervening decades.

i know a guy selling an eberlestock team elk that in really good shape...

Just an aside on external frame packs - does anyone cut down the top part to reduce the frame catching on brush etc? My WW frame extends almost to the top of my head, and I'm wondering about cutting down the frame by 4-6 inches. Might reduce the overall capacity, but should stop it catching on brush etc, and would probably make it easier to hook my rifle sling over when hiking...??

Not familiar with the WW in particular, other than Stone Sheep Steve's "Rave" reviews here during his stint with one. Haha.

Most of the externals I've been around, including the Cabelas, have a pinned extension hoop that is removable. I promptly removed mine and covered the exposed pipe ends with a plastic chair leg protector to keep dirt/water out.