Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First decent pack for a beginner?

Re: First decent pack for a beginner?

definitely buy used , assuming the pack is in good condition. Badlands & Eberlestock come to mind for that $250 budget
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Picked up the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter external frame pack this week on sale for $143.99. Wanted a pack mainly for packing out meat and based on all the good info on this site the pack seems to be of reasonable quality. Couldn't find the Tatonka in BC ....the guy at AJ Brooks said he could not get it in Canada anymore? Not available at Surplus Herby's either.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...56-Frame-packs

Some great info on this thread. I was in the same boat and went for a used external frame pack (Wilderness Wanderer made in Kamloops). Cost me $50 and its great! Ill save up and buy a Mystery Ranch or something like it down the track, but for now, this should be usable

I was in your situation. Looked around all over the place. Constantly tempted by the nicer brands.
    Being a new hunter, I wasn't sure what I wanted from a pack, just that I knew I wanted the ability to pack something out.

Found this pack: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=horn+hunter
    Guys were great to deal with and the price was right for my first pack. They live in Drayton Valley, Ab.
    Has a lift time warranty.

No doubt it will be heavier than the top quality brands, but it was designed and manufactured in Utah.

Good luck in your search.

I'd also recommend heading to Cabelas or wholesale to try on a bunch of packs. I was able to rule out some options pretty quick based on how they felt (Ruled out: tenzing, alpz, badlands). Eberlestock was nice. Dragonfly felt better than the Just One, which was odd as they looked pretty damn similar. Badlands felt bulky, and lacked some adjustability.

For the record: I am 5'9", 175lbs and I think my back measure was about 19-20".

This would be my suggestion. Look for a new or used external frame pack such as the Tatonka, Cabelas Alaskan guide, Camp Trails freighter frame with a moose bag, or a Wilderness Wanderer. They can be a little noisy but are pretty much bomb proof and will carry big loads well. Our Camp Trails freighters are well over 20 yrs. old and even though we've all upgraded to fancier internal frame packs the old Camp Trails are still pressed in to duty to haul meat out when the need arises. These type of packs may be a little more suited to meat hauling with the occasional hike in hunt rather than the other way around but for bang for the buck I think they are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post

Some great info on this thread. I was in the same boat and went for a used external frame pack (Wilderness Wanderer made in Kamloops). Cost me $50 and its great! Ill save up and buy a Mystery Ranch or something like it down the track, but for now, this should be usable

Do people still used any of the Barney's packs? They have always looked really good, and used to be popular.

I have a Cabela's Alaskan outfitter frame and pack. I'm sure there are better packs but after 5 backpack goat hunts, and hundreds of hours of training hikes averaging 60 pounds I have little to complain about.

Last year Cabela's was blowing the frames out for $80 . Picked up another.

I take off the top bar and sling my rifle over the frame. Makes a solid sling and frees up the hands so I can use my hiking poles and not worry about my rifle skipping off. I also now use a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag on this frame. Very simple, functional combo for that at regular price is under $300.

Im in Kamloops as well, and the Wilderness Wanderer seems great, but they are $605 new...

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post

Another vote for the Cabelas Alaskan Freighter, they are far better than their price point, in both comfort and quality. Even if you eventually upgrade into an alpha internal, the Freighter will still see use as a meat hauler. They come on sale for $130'ish quite often for just the frame, so be patient.