Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First decent pack for a beginner?

Question First decent pack for a beginner?

This will be my second year hunting, and my first year do any real backpacking. I have drawn a grizzly tag and plan to spend several days out at a time in fairly rough terrain.

I was hoping some of the more experienced guys might have some suggestions for a mid-level backpack I should I get. I currently have a Badlands butt-pack, which is very comfortable and seems well made. I also have an older Gregory 85L pack, that is good quality, but is starting to wear as it is 20 years old.

There seems to be a deluge of packs available, what might you guys recommend that is no more than $250? I am certainly open to buying used. I don't plan on packing huge amounts of meat at this time, but a versatile pack would be best.

Thanks,

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: First decent pack for a beginner?

Buy an used Mystery Ranch and your good to go !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Try any pack on before buying!!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

No "Mystery" as to what the top packs are. (pun intended)

A consideration for a budget minded hunter is the Molle II
    It's a US military pack that is used in combat so there is a lot of R&D in the design.
    It can carry a big load.
    Mass produced so unit cost is relatively low.
    I used one this yr and have few issues with it's fit and performance for the price.
    It's definitely worth a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLLE-II-Des...-/292045155060

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

It seems that external frame back-packs are not that fashionable anymore, but I would consider one, if you are going to be packing your camp as well as a grizzly hide, probably with head and feet attached. Internal frames are probably just as good if you get one that is rated for a heavy load, but if you get one that is rated medium or light, and overload it, then you may see the internal stabilization rods start to break down and spring loose - resulting in a ruined backpack. However, I do not have much experience with internal frame packs, just know that cheaper ones break down under heavy loads from my friends' experiences. I use a Cabela's external frame pack, have removed various parts that I don't need (to get it lighter), and it has worked fine for many years. Before that I had an awesome external frame pack from a Norwegian company that doesn't make them anymore, the frame is still great, the bag not so much. Things to watch are the attachments of the frame to your weight-belt, which should be taking almost all of the weight. This is the area that needs to be adjusted properly, along with the shoulder straps (generally these only keep the bag from falling backwards, although on my packs they take a bit of the weight). When you walk, especially with a heavy load, your hips shift left and right. With a properly adjusted backpack, the weight will not shift like that, or very minimally. You need a few inches between your packframe and your weight belt to allow your hips to center themselves under the center of gravity, so to speak, and so to expend less energy, eliminating energy shifting the heavy weight from side-to-side. With heavier loads, you might want to increase this a bit. Most quality external frame backpacks include spare pins that are spare in case one of the pin attachments between frame and weight belt break (or bend severely, which I have had happen).

Molle II

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I betcha if you take your time, shell out the big bucks and buy the right pack, it may be the last one you ever have to buy. Look at the Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Exos of the pack world. There are others that are very good, but by a lot of people's opinion, those are the "big 3".

And do a bit of reading on here and definitely check out Rokslide.com. Lots of pack info there.

If I could do it over again I would buy a Cabelas freighter external frame pack. Relatively inexpensive and carries a load well. A very good cost/function pay off. I would then figure out what I liked and didn't like and compiled list of wants in a pack from there. Everyone's wants and desires are different, add in all the different shapes and sizes of people and you end up with a TON of well meaning advice that may or may not be applicable. After a season or two with the freighter pack you may decide to upgrade or that it fits the bill for you. Either way it won't be money thrown away.

Tatonka lasteraxe.then if you like to hike alot get a premium pack
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-Frame-amp-Bag

Guy on here selling one of them. Great beginner frame pack. Will last you years.

I bought a MEC Serratus 85 $250 for a first pack. Did a few trips with it and it was more than fine. Packed a decent 3 pt mulie out of the bush no prob.

Now own a Kuiu 7200 Icon Pro. With all the haters on here I doubt it's worth mentioning haha. To tell the truth I have yet to get any 'real' weight in it yet.