Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best backpack/framepack

Best backpack/framepack

Hi All,
    I am hoping to get lots of feedback on what everyone feels is the best back pack/framepack for an extended hunt. We are doing a 10-14 day sheep hunt this fall and the research has started. I am looking for a pack that can handle all of the necessary gear and then be able to handle the weight of an animal on the way out. (if we are lucky enough to get one) I have looked at many packs online and in some stores. A couple of questions that have come out of this search for me are:
    1. is it best to find a pack that can be broken down from the large pack to a smaller one for the day hunt away from base camp?
    2. should I get a pack that has a meat tray on it or go the route of one that has a compartment. Why is one more beneficial than the other?
    3. Are there any packs we should stay away from?
    4. What is the best size? 85 litre? or do we not have to go that big?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best backpack/framepack

My first choice in packs now is the Seek Outside models, they have an outstanding series of modular packs/frames, ate made in the USA and are simply outstanding to deal with.

They have a new large pack under development as we speak and this is what I would strongly recommend. Google them and then call them to discuss your needs.

Size, you need a larger pack than 85 liters and SO packs are much lighter than any others, except very costly custom Dyneema rigs. I would go with at least 6500 cu. in. and preferably larger. Mu current choice is an older Dana Design Terraframe, modded to my needs to pack meat and my daily is a SO Divide-4500+ as KI always carry a light emerg. camp as I often go solo.

HTH.

Kifaru or Stone glacier

I'll throw in the Exo 5500
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I'll be the odd man out(not an unusual occurrence), as I prefer an external frame. I have a Bullpack, and if I can't carry it comfortably with that, I need a forklift!

Darcy

My experiences and mine alone. Based on my fitness, body type and efforts to fit the pack properly to my body.

Others and your mileage may vary.

Packs I've owned and tried. Although not on a trip of the length you are planning. But in the end, the only difference would be more food and the volume and weight of it.

1. Stone Glacier - good fit for me so far, light weight, well built, smart design, no extra stuff like little pockets and zippers here there and everywhere. Unless you choose to add them. Packed out a few critters in it now, which went well and it handled the weight well.

2. Mystery Ranch NICE frame - fit me real good, used the Longbow bag which was well thought out, but had all kinds of internal pockets and sections etc, which added weight. It was almost 8 lbs for what was a day pack or if well packed an overnighter. If it had been lighter I'd have kept using it much longer than I did. Did not pack an animal nor based on size a really heavy load. Did load it up to about 65 pounds for testing and training, though.

3. KUIU - many love them, many do not. I couldn't ever get a good fit out of it. A lot of extra pockets and stuff internally. Not a fan of that. Loaded it up to about 65lbs for testing. No critter went for a ride in this one as it was put up for sale after a week. In general, I'd steer clear of them. But I also have a bias, as Hairston drives me nuts. That said, I have and still do use a few KUIU products as in the end I'll use what works or works best for me.

Packs I would like to try at some point.

1. Seek Outside - as BBD says great company. I have the LBO shelter (Base-Tarp-Vestibule) and a Redcliff and DST tarp on the way. Wouldn't hesitate to give Kevin's packs a spin if and when the time comes I'd want to consider something other than my Stone Glacier. Made in the USA not some offshore foreign no quality control junk!

2. Exo - was really close to giving one a spin this year but stuck with SG once the new frame and bag came out.

Non hunting packs I have used in the past.

Arcteryx Bora - one of the originals bought in Cranbrook in 1997 from a fine shop that I wish I recalled the name of. Served me well for 18 years. Never had a complaint and sold it to someone new to backcountry travel for $75 only cause I wanted them to get off to an economical start with a great pack. Regret it ever since.

Take it all with a grain of salt as my experience with hunting specific packs is limited relative to my time wearing a pack for backcountry camping during the last two decades.

*notice I am working on writing in BBD style. A work in progress, but I am getting the hang of it. It is quite fun!

I jest, certainly take BBD info to heart as much he can be a curmudgeon he certainly has been through the gear and time in the field. He has certainly cost me plenty of money with his suggestions of what to use and where to purchase. One of these days he and I will meet face to face and it'll come full circle! I truly look forward to it.

Barneys freighter Frame and Yukon pack!! You won't be disappointed!!!

Exo Mountain 5500
    The World is run by those that show up.

Not sure if barney's is still is the mix? I love mine but probably heavier than the current competition? Super comfortable and built to last/carry heavy loads.

Not to derail the topic, but I have a pack question I don't want to start another thread for.

I currently have an arcterx bora80. I use it for day trips and hopefully some overnights this year. Sometimes it feels like to much for day trips. How much better if any would something like an eberlestock x2 or a tenzing daypack with the meat compartment be? Or any other 2-300$ hunting day pack be?