Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best backpack/framepack

Re: Best backpack/framepack

there was a great thread on this very topic a couple months ago too: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...56-Frame-packs

Quote Originally Posted by metalface View Post
    there was a great thread on this very topic a couple months ago too: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...56-Frame-packs

Yep... I found a older model Wilderness Wanderer external frame pack for $50! Replaced a couple of pins and buckles and it's great!

Barneys !!!!
    One pack does it all

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Images View Post
    Barneys !!!!
    One pack does it all
    Cant agree anymore, once you go barneys you won't shop for another pack, I've used the kuiu, badlands tried on the kifaru loaded fully up with weight, I believe the barneys are worth their weight in gold, no need to purchase more pockets and accessories to the pack because it comes with all you need!! And top end on durability!! Sure don't see a lot of used barneys for sale on buy and sell etc...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Not a fan of "multitask" packs that have day packs etc. that detach; just extra weight and they're rarely the right size or comfortable. Stone Glacier nailed it with special creases sewn in to tuck away extra bag when not needed.

A 2 week sheep hunt, I'd be looking at 100 liters as base line. Some guys will argue that if you have extra space you'll just fill it up, and granted some probably do....but not likely more than once... Set a weight target and pack to that, with room left over, so you're not forced to solve a puzzle everytime you repack in the mountains.

Meat shelves are great for keeping blood out of your main compartment, but better for keeping the weight distributed closer to your core.

Make sure the pack fits your torso length and test it in the field, before you head out for 2 weeks. A poorly fitted, sized or adjusted pack with break your will faster than the mountains.
    This, is VERY sound advice as only the fit of your footwear is as crucial as that of your pack. Certain pack designs tend to fit certain body types better than others and this should be your primary concern.

I have owned/used many packs over some 60+ years and found what works for me by trial and error. I prefer IF models for most uses but a good EF pack is simple, comparatively inexpensive and lighter on average.

SO packs HAVE a frame, which can be used alone or with any of their simple and most functional bags, interchangeable and highly adjustable.

I just spoke with Becca and Luke there yesterday and the new model in development seems "ideal" for your needs to me. I do not know of any packs "better" than these and their suspension fits a wide variety of bodies, so, do check them out.

There is NO such thing as the "BEST" single pack OR one that works perfectly for all users and uses, however, I find these the most simple, light and adaptable ones KI have yet used.

The Barneys freighter frame and Yukon bag is apparently the pack of choice for alaska/yukon guides..hey there is one for sale on the exchange right now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wx1dEHQwXs
    Last edited by xcaribooer; 08-17-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Arcteryx - (Mine are a Naos 45 and Naos 80). Waterproof, clean lines, carries really well and very very tough. Ten years + guiding and both holding up well. I hav a Naos 100 litre too that just gathers dust. Too big.

Rise with cold water and it's clean too. I am yet to find a pack built by a hunting company that I like...too many gadgets. IMHO
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I use the barney's. It may not be the fanciest or lightest on the market, but it really shines when you load it to 150 lbs. Awesome pack!
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Arcteryx - (Mine are a Naos 45 and Naos 80). Waterproof, clean lines, carries really well and very very tough. Ten years + guiding and both holding up well. I hav a Naos 100 litre too that just gathers dust. Too big.

Rise with cold water and it's clean too. I am yet to find a pack built by a hunting company that I like...too many gadgets. IMHO
    I now have the same setup but in the bora series. Older arcteryx packs are great. Made in Canada as well. Not sure if the new ones are as tough.

I run a Mystery Ranch Marshall with the overload shelf, heavy pack but works for me