Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minors hunting in BC

Re: Minors hunting in BC

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Look at it this way, if there were ANY loop holes to this, somebody would have found them years ago and they would have been closed.

You aren't the first kid to try and search out a way to convince a parent it's legal to hunt on your own.

And to to look at it another way, only you can decide if it's worth risking losing your ability to hunt for 5 years. The rules are a lot more strict now than when a lot of us were your age. There isn't really the option for a CO to give you a "strict talking with to before sending you off on a hunt"....
    Like it or not, now you could be viewed as a kid with a rifle preparing for a school shooting.
    What does me hunting alone have anything to do with being a school shooter? A minors license can permit the use of non supervised use of firearms, so maybe if that was the topic you would make a little more sense. I do respect the rules and regs of hunting, so of course I will not be hunting alone. And there are a lot of people with minors licenses out there, and I haven't heard of one shooting up a school before. So your just stereotyping a curious kid who wanted to make sure he was obiding by the laws a school shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan View Post
    After people trolling, and making fun, I finally found the right answer (lol). You cannot hunt alone in bc. I was hoping that people on these fourums would understand a bit more of my question because I'm a newbie and I posted on the newbie thread. Honestly, it is a little discouraging with the answers I got. Thank you to any of you who actual understood where I was coming from. Thanks
    It was said ore than a few times that you can't hunt alone. :s

Youth hunting BC

Hello, can anyone provide me with some information about minors hunting in bc? I have a few questions that I keep getting different answers about. Please respond to this if you know for sure, like if you have contacted the CFO or anybody like that.

1. Can a minor hunt alone without a firearm if they have an adult hunting license?

2. Can a minor hunt alone with a firearm if they have their minors license and an adult hunting license?

2. If no to any of the questions above, is if possible to be interviewed to be elegible for them?

Any information would be great thanks!
    1) no.

2) no.

The only way way to be interviewed for that is if you live on a reservation, have no one to provide food, and have dependants like old grandparents....

I posted the law the last time you asked, have a read on that again. As a minor, you cannot legally hunt on your own until you are 18, be it a bow or a firearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncurrie View Post
    18 and under are consdidered a youth and must be with a adult that holds all proper requirements until then at all times.
    No one under the age of 18 is allowed to hunt on their own, period. Not for elk with a 300 Bee, not for ruffed grouse with a rock. No hunting under 18 unaccompanied.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncurrie View Post
    Absolutely no hunting by yourself if you are 18 and under. There are no special conditions unless you are granted a interview and meet all criteria like Kodiakhntr stated. No ifs and buts. No is bottom line.
    http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/...01#section17.1

The link is reasonably clear about hunting.

Hunting laws are a completely separate issue from firearm laws. You cannot hunt under 18 unless you are accompanied by someone fully licensed who is older than 18.
    [QUOTE=Tuffcity;1885799]
    no hunting by yourself if you are 18 and under.[/QUOTE]

Slight correction to that... the day you turn 18 you can hunt unsupervised if you hold the correct valid license.

RC

Jonothan: if you read to the end of the last thread on Youth licenses your questions should have been answered...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuffcity View Post
    Jonothan, this section of the BC Wildlife Act is pretty clear:

The key word being "hunts"... doesn't matter with what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Sounds like you are hoping someone will find you a loophole for the law which clearly states that anyone under 18 must be accompanied. No matter if they use a gun a bow or a rock, there is no loophole. If you are under 18, you must be accompanied- period.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    The "solid answers" that you are looking for are in the regs..... "The youth hunter, whether or not they havecompleted a hunter training program, must beaccompanied and under the close personalsupervision of an adult who carries the properlicences and meets the prescribed qualifications".

Please note that "must be accompanied" is in bold. Not just in my post, but in the regs. I'm not sure why or how this is complicated in any way...

If you took your CORE course, may I ask who your instructor was?
    After people trolling, and making fun, I finally found the right answer (lol). You cannot hunt alone in bc. I was hoping that people on these fourums would understand a bit more of my question because I'm a newbie and I posted on the newbie thread. Honestly, it is a little discouraging with the answers I got. Thank you to any of you who actual understood where I was coming from. Thanks
    No, you were told several times here and on CGN on the thread you posted there, you just didn't like the answer. The answers were exceptionally clear, and even had direct links to the applicable legislation. Everyone was very clear, and very helpful. If you are discouraged with the answers you got here, I have news for you; your life is going to be exceptionally rough. You were handed the exact information that you asked about, from 95% of the people who posted on this thread.

I get where you are coming from, but there are no loopholes for this scenario. If there were, they would have been exploited and subsequently closed years ago.

You will be a lot better off by joining your local BCWF chapter and finding someone there that will be willing to take you out hunting. Getting caught with firearms as a minor in todays society is drastically different than what it was like even ten years ago. The risk is simply not worth the reward.

Like posted above there is no way around the law

The best advice I can give you is search out hunters that would be willing to mentor you. If having an adult to accompany you is holding you back seeking those willing to take you out is the only answer

I know by your posts you were looking for a way to hunt on your own but this is not an option. Truthfully having a mentor is also way more benifical as well as it will give you access to experience and knowledge. This will only benefit you as there is so much a new hunter can learn.

Even with over 25years hunting under my belt I am still learning and with some species I would not be much better than a rookie