Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Hiking poles: how beneficial do you find them on your hike in hunts?

Re: Hiking poles: how beneficial do you find them on your hike in hunts?

I didn't even consider trekking poles until a couple of months ago, but they make so much sense! Even without packing an animal, getting through sketchy terrain is so much easier with them.

Just picked up the Black Diamond Trail poles from MEC for $110 yesterday. They look well built and pretty solid, so should do the trick.

you will have more gusto and pep after the same 5 km pack out with poles. but they take getting use to like any new change in gear.

Like others have said, they really r essential for any serious Mtn hunter.

Although I don't carry hiking poles, I carry a wooden hiking stick. It has assisted me several times stepping over large downed trees, down steep slopes as well as catching me after a slip. The biggest benefit though is being able to steady my Binochs on top of it while standing, makes a huge difference in glassing stability. I got the idea from a good buddy of mine and now I don't leave home without my trusted walking stick. I'm actually thinking of making another one, this time adding some personal touches such as a leather strap and some burnt wood drawings.

A must IMO for backpacking. Have used a couple different kinds over the years, using Leki now.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Put it this way Harry, you do one trip with, you'll never want to go without. I only wish I'd have gotten on the program years ago; my knees would likely be in much better condition today.
    I second that .. i love my poles now .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

amazing. If i'm hiking with more than 30lbs on my back i use the poles. The assistance I get from using them on the descent is amazing on my knees. Helps a lot.

I got a pair of black diamond poles from MEC for $115. Expensive but they are very very helpful.

When I first got hiking poles, like about 20 years ago or so, I researched the best type, and finally ended up with Komperdell Carbon C3 Ultralites. These worked great for about a decade, then I slid off a rain-slick boardwalk, and snapped a pole! So, I decided to do my research again. I investigated all the sites that I could find, and came up with, again, Komperdell Carbon C3 Ultralites, which I bought again! I snapped another one with a full pack of Caribou meat in about 2007 or so, had to step from one rock to another and just a bit too much lateral pressure on the pole. But I would still recommend these, they have worked great for me all these years. Just watch the lateral pressure, but I think that is true for all hiking poles. Oh, and one tip: slide your hand through the straps upwards, then bring your hand down to grip the handle. This way, when walking up hill, the pressure is on your straps and between your thumb and forefingers, and not on holding the handle tight. In fact, you can open your hand and hold it in a loose position, which is good for your hand muscles. Also, with this grip, when walking through thick brush, just let them go, they will trail along behind you, until you get out of the brush. Good luck, and good hiking / hunting!

^^^^this is what I started doing, it does work well.....

I went years in the army carrying weight long distances and thinking to myself that trekking poles were pointless, like suck it up and just walk. But since the macho days ended, I use trekking poles for any hikes or hunts where side hilling and steep terrain is a possibility. I basically don't leave home without them.
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem