Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking poles: how beneficial do you find them on your hike in hunts?

Re: Hiking poles: how beneficial do you find them on your hike in hunts?

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I might pop into the store with a capital C and grab a second (which would actually be my third) pair. They're just good to have! And then I have one that I can possibly wreck while trying to modify it into a monopod.
    Keep us posted on the work project.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Anyone double their poles up as shooting sticks? Haven't tried with my poles yet, just feel like it would at least be more steady then an offhand shot?
    A single pole, set to height and using your pinky/ruby to grip the handle and thumb, index/middle finger to grip your rifle, works quite well for short to medium distance. Any longer shots, you usually have time to find or create a better rest.

Started with old ski poles.... upgraded to a pair of lekkis... broke one on my first trip down a mountain... better than busting a knee tho...bought black diamond oval shaped ones with shock absorbers , have used them for years now with no issues. A must have when your packing something on your back that should be strapped to a mule instead. A must have in my books.

Got what seems like a decent pair yesterday at Costco, thanks for the tip there RiverOtter...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered these up for me and the wife yesterday. Theyre cheap as heck so we'll just see how they hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Got what seems like a decent pair yesterday at Costco, thanks for the tip there RiverOtter...
    I'm confident you'll be a pole advocate, from here on out. And your welcome.

Same Leki poles on two trips to the mountains, shocks in poles. Great for up and down mountains, crossing creeks, swatting wet buck brush, and priceless when getting up from a sitting position with heavy packs. Do not leave home with out them. Just as important as your footwear and wind Breakers.
    Do'nt rush your shot, that's when the work starts.

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Keep us posted on the work project.
    Will do, heading up to Coldstream for the weekend to hang out with my folks so may con my step-dad into helping me do it...he's a tinkery kinda guy. Fun project.

I started with old ski poles in the early '70s, went to Komperdell C3s, twist locks about 2006 and damned near died from a near fall into Lynn Creek from high above the creek when one lock gave way. So, I then got BD Carbon whatevers, the top of their line and have some miles on these.

I wont go sans poles now as I am too old, semi-crippled and need tha balance and support, so, I HIGHLY recommend them to all mountain hunters and advocate buying the BEST you can afford. I do not care for shock absorbers, but, each to his own.

I recently picked up a pair of Black Diamond Trail Shock pro poles fro $140. Seem pretty good although don't have much to compare to.My wife just bought the Costco poles for $44 and while they may not be quite as high end as the BD, for the price they are pretty decent and at least if you break one or more likely in my case leave them by a tree after having a leak it won't break the bank to replace.