Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking poles: how beneficial do you find them on your hike in hunts?

Re: Hiking poles: how beneficial do you find them on your hike in hunts?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Brand is Cascade Mountain Tech. Don't want to infringe on advertising rules, so I'll just say they're about 1/2 of where big name poles start, price wise.
    A super good buy for anyone sitting on the fence, wondering if they're old enough for trekking poles yet...
    They're 135cm and come with 2 baslet styles and 2 rubber end caps.

I upgraded to Komperdell "Ridge Hiker" poles last season, after I wore out my "starter" poles, because a few years ago I couldn't fathom spending $100 on a pair of sticks. Poles are right up there with good boots, in my opinion.
    Black Diamond, Leki, Komperdell and Gabel seem to be the main players in the pole game, but there are definitely decent poles outside of those brands.
    I have the cascades and they're great. Best price on a carbon pole I've found. Nice cork handles, too. I want to modify mine to put a monopod rest in the top of one. Have to figure that out but can't be that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    That looks awesome! What tarp? Paracord or something else for tiedowns?
    Thats a Siltarp II...8x10'.
    I stole they guy lines off an old tent.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I always bashed hiking poles..... till I used them enough to get use to them, never head up a mountain without them now.

If the weather is super crappy I peg all outside edges of tarp down (with some slack) then just use one pole in the centre to form a tipi

I used them prior to a knee operation and they are a big help, strongly recommended by my physiotherapist. Having said that, I have never used them while hunting because in the bush, at times, one is in close proximity to an animal and to loose the poles and reach for the rifle is a lot of movement. I do, however, carry them with me always fastened to the side of my pack. The handles are made of tan cork and that being the case I have fluorescent tape wrapped around them.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Put it this way Harry, you do one trip with, you'll never want to go without. I only wish I'd have gotten on the program years ago; my knees would likely be in much better condition today.
    Yep, ive heard something like 40% reduction in knee impact when going downhill using the poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    And add a tarp and you've got a cozy bivy set up.

that's wicked.........

Sorry, I live near Kelowna, but I don't know of a gun store that starts with a "C". I would like to pick up a pair of poles, can you let me know the store you were referencing?

only cons for poles are walking in thick brush or long grass, so getting collapsible poles you can strap to your bag until out of those areas are ideal. I use the kifaru gun bearer so I always have my gun in reach at a moments notice. Few tips, going up steep hills, shorten them. going down lengthen them. figure out what material of handle you plan on using, you might need gloves for long excursions. check your pole tips for a sharp carbide. it grips the rocks better when not rounded off from long term use. Practice with them, at first youll always be staring at the ground looking where to place them after a while it becomes natural. They really do help endurance, by using more of your body parts ie your arms it spreads the load so you don't tire as fast. just my 2 cents

Get a set and use them . You will never go back