Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sighting in issue

Sighting in issue

Shooting a new rifle for the first time the other day. At 25yards it was shooting to the right of the bullseye 4" after adjusting scope to the left. Next shots were in the same area as last group. I ended up maxing to the left adjustment and still have the rounds impacting at 4" right.

What's going on with this thing?

Scope is a Nikon Monarch 3 on a M-308 mount

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sighting in issue

Beg.. borrow.. steal... a boresighter and go from there.

Yrs ago I had a scope on a 308 that would do the same thing, my brother took it and give it a wack with his hand and the scope went to where you wanted it after that, don't know why but it worked for yrs after with no problem.

When your at the end of your scopes adjustments they will sometimes still click but the reticle wont move anymore. Check all your mounts and action screws. Try to reclomate your scope ( center the reticle ) using a mirror and see if it will move to center.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 03-04-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Every time I make adjustments I tap my scope with a screwdriver or just flick it with my finger. One of my scopes never moved until I did this and so I do it to them all now, needed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Beg.. borrow.. steal... a boresighter and go from there.
    The rifle has a large muzzle brake on it that needs to be removed before a boresight will work

A bore sighter will do nothing for your issue, except confirm what you already found.

Something appears "frozen" so your adjustments are not moving the reticle. Set your gun up on bags securely and view a distant object while you twist the windage dial, you should see reticle movement. Tapping the windage knob might free it, though that technique is more for taking up any backlash in the threads after making adjustments.

Take the windage adjustment and turn it all the way to the right until its maxed out, then turn it all the way back to the left until its maxed out, then repeat it a couple more times. While you're at it do the same with the elevation. As mentioned things will "stick" inside sometimes, I came across this on the Leupold website I believe, and they suggested rotating the dials all the way back and forth a few times every so often to keep the springs functioning properly but also to lubricate the gears. Not suggesting leupold internals are the same as Nikon but nevertheless it seems like a sound concept that may work on other scopes. Good luck.

4 inches right at 25 yards on a 1/4 inch @ 100 yard adjuster is 64 clicks to zero so maybe something else is up with the setup?

yeah, sounds like you are at the max at one end of the adjustment. Easy to prove by running the dial back the other way 20 or 30 clicks and see where the poi goes.
    Does that m-308 base have windage adjustment itself?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole