Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sighting in issue

Re: Sighting in issue

Ok this is how I do it
    4" off bulls eye at 25 yards is a great start . Don't waste any more time at 25 yards .All you will be doing is chasing the dogs tail around and around . Move out to 100 yards , your bullet should still be close to 4 " bulls eye . Now your 1/4" adjustments will means something !!!. Also pack something that your can give your adjustment knobs a decent "tap" after your move there just to make sure nothing is hanging up .
    Don't rush take your time . After you get is sighted in were you want it at a 100 yards, just for shits + giggles go back to 25 yards just to see were your point of impact is , you just might be a bit surprised .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

4" off bulls eye at 25 yards is a great start .
    Kidding right? Can get closer just looking down the bore
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

My bore sighting set up works like this .
    Gun vise sitting on hot tub cover , I bore sight on a 1" knot hole on my fence 25 ft away . Been doing it this way for 35+ years on count less firearms . A bit red neck but works for me .
    Last edited by 358mag; 03-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Tapping a scope to free up backlash can work, but come on this is 2017 you shouldn't have to practice 1970's tricks. Likely the rifle is drilled/tapped a bit out of alignment or something not square with mounting hardware if your windage is maxed out. I would do a box test on scope to see if the adjustments are responding properly, if they are I'd switch to a wind adjustable base or Burris z rings with the plastic inserts.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Ok this is how I do it
    4" off bulls eye at 25 yards is a great start . Don't waste any more time at 25 yards .All you will be doing is chasing the dogs tail around and around . Move out to 100 yards , your bullet should still be close to 4 " bulls eye . Now your 1/4" adjustments will means something !!!. Also pack something that your can give your adjustment knobs a decent "tap" after your move there just to make sure nothing is hanging up .
    Don't rush take your time . After you get is sighted in were you want it at a 100 yards, just for shits + giggles go back to 25 yards just to see were your point of impact is , you just might be a bit surprised .

I'm sorry but if your 4 inches off the bulls eye at 25 yards you'll be 16 inches off the bulls eye at 100 and thats well off the paper !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Yup ! When your that FAR off at 25 its only gets WORST as the range increases - sound like that rifles scope mounts are way out of alignment to the rifle bore ! Better get some one who KNOWs what to check look it over ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I'm sorry but if your 4 inches off the bulls eye at 25 yards you'll be 16 inches off the bulls eye at 100 and thats well off the paper !
    Yes in theory , but over the years I have found out a that is not always the case .
    Have witness more guys shot time and time again at 25 yards , adjust -adjust -adjust and still get no closer to the bulls eye . I call it chasing the dogs tail . Always entertaining going to the rifle range and watching someone trying to sight in a new scope !!!.
    Like I said this is how I do it and most times I can be on target line at 100 yards in 2-3 shots . Then comes the fine tuning .
    Another word of advice , only do windage or vertical adjustments one at a time . Saves a lot of time + ammo .

The base is mounted on a one peace upper pick a teeny rail. I think I was having the same issue with a Aimpoint red dot site I had on it. I'm going to try out tapping the scope and see if that helps it

Sounds like the mount/rail is not square to the bore. Tap away but...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Sounds like the mount/rail is not square to the bore. Tap away but...
    This is my thoughts as well.
    KCCO