Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly in elk trip suggestions

Fly in elk trip suggestions

Guys I want to book a northern BC elk trip, any suggestions for a fly in
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: Fly in elk trip suggestions

Keep your mind open too drop camps off the Muskwa or Tuchodi by jet boat ...... Just saying. Good luck too you.

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Keep your mind open too drop camps off the Muskwa or Tuchodi by jet boat ...... Just saying. Good luck too you.
    What he said but everybody I talk to says elk pops are way down in those areas so not the slam dunk it was to even see legal Bulls in years past.

Flying in is the way to go, the rivers are to busy. I prefer the lakes in 7-51 thats were the big bulls are.

I got buddies who put a lot of time and money into the Muskwa jet boat trip last year. 12 days, one legal bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    I got buddies who put a lot of time and money into the Muskwa jet boat trip last year. 12 days, one legal bull.
    Thats why its called hunting, not killing. its not a guarantee anywhere you go, you gotta put the miles on. I did a trip with Riverjet couple years ago, 10 days, no legal bull elk spotted, we got a moose, and we were on bull elk everyday multiple times but couldnt close the deal on a 6 pt. there were definitely lots there but it just didn't go out way with the big bulls.
    Last edited by monasheemountainman; 03-04-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Thats why its called hunting, not killing. its not a guarantee anywhere you go, you gotta put the miles on. I did a trip with Riverjet couple years ago, 10 days, no legal bull elk spotted, we got a moose, and we were on bull elk everyday multiple times but couldnt close the deal on a 6 pt. there were definitely lots there but it just didn't go out way with the big bulls.
    I think the point of his post was more directed at the time and money spent in relation to the return.

Did a similar trip last fall in the same general area. Had 2 legitimate bull elk opportunities amongst 5 guys and came home with 1 bull. Was it an amazing hunt? Absolutely!, as the country alone rates the boat ride. But, it was a LOT of money and boot leather for not many steaks. Good chance with the same time and effort we could have pulled off a region 8 bull with far less expense.

Still lots of good elk hunting up north, but it's definitely getting more pressure these days with southern areas drying up.

The elk populations in the northern Rockies is still very healthy. I think the elk have just adapted to the pressure. Haven't heard of many die hard hunters not having success. I do often hear people whine that when they wander an hour from their basecamp in mid afternoon, because they were too hung over to get up early, that they didn't see anything. Put in the effort and reap the reward.

If you're willing to hike up the mountain away from the lake/river /airstrip, you should be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    The elk populations in the northern Rockies is still very healthy. I think the elk have just adapted to the pressure. Haven't heard of many die hard hunters not having success. I do often hear people whine that when they wander an hour from their basecamp in mid afternoon, because they were too hung over to get up early, that they didn't see anything. Put in the effort and reap the reward.

If you're willing to hike up the mountain away from the lake/river /airstrip, you should be successful.
    Couldn't agree more...

Kluechesi lake Land hike shoot fish