Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal and Provincial caribou recovery plan

Federal and Provincial caribou recovery plan

Just heard in a coffee shop talk that the federal and provincial governments are trying to bring the caribou herd back in the southeast region of British Columbia . The mandate is to make sure that our ungulate population deer elk moose are to crash in population so that the predator will also crash so that they can protect the caribou population . This is essential to bring the herd back to respectable numbers so that we will not deem them extinct. Hence the seasons that are liberal through out the province especially on the cow elk and whitetail deer does .My question is how long are we going to allow this to happen before we will see our management of wildlife increase in numbers so this in turn keeps all the users hunters guides and wildlife enthuisist happy . Coffee shop talk but quite interesting information as there is a report out there that you can obtain threw the ministry and read up on it .
    bigben

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Federal and Provincial caribou recovery plan

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Just heard in a coffee shop talk that the federal and provincial governments are trying to bring the caribou herd back in the southeast region of British Columbia . The mandate is to make sure that our ungulate population deer elk moose are to crash in population so that the predator will also crash so that they can protect the caribou population . This is essential to bring the herd back to respectable numbers so that we will not deem them extinct. Hence the seasons that are liberal through out the province especially on the cow elk and whitetail deer does .My question is how long are we going to allow this to happen before we will see our management of wildlife increase in numbers so this in turn keeps all the users hunters guides and wildlife enthuisist happy . Coffee shop talk but quite interesting information as there is a report out there that you can obtain threw the ministry and read up on it .
    Stay away from coffee shop talk.

You're in the middle of a lot of bullshit over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post

Fisherdude have you gotten into the electric lettuce you keep accusing others of?
    I've heard variations of the same thing and it was confirmed during a public caribou awareness meeting in Fort St John in the spring of 2015. It was directed at industry stakeholders but I wasn't the only resident hunter in attendance. Besides their conclusion that grizzlies tend not to prey on caribou (something I believe given my own experiences viewing both in close vicinty to each other) the main speaker also stated that efforts were made in the lower regions of the province to significantly reduce moose populations in an effort to starve wolves out of caribou wintering areas. Prior to this admission I had pointed out to a close friend employed by the OGC in a caribou study that whoever thought this was a good policy should be taken out for a good beating as even the dimmest idiot would know when the moose were gone the caribou would be eaten. She did not deny that this policy had been put in place.
    I agree that most hunters tend to put too much credence into coffee shop talk but this has been discussed on here before by others more knowledgeable than me.

You can read the federal recovery for southern mountain caribou here. http://www.registrelep-sararegistry....0114%5Fe%2Epdf

The federal plan identifies a need to reduce alternate prey (mostly moose). The science behind this is reasonable. In most caribou herd areas in the south part of the province we have been logging in their ranges and that has improved moose habitat and more food equals more moose. More moose over time supports more wolves and more wolves eat more caribou. There are lots of variables that make this relationship imperfect, but as a general rule it is reasonable.

Over the long haul one option is to manage logging and silviculture so it does not produce as much moose browse. That takes decades though.

The province has introduced measures to reduce moose density in a couple areas such as near Revelstoke but not everywhere.

So from briefly looking that plan we are maintaining the caribou population at 6000 and not much foreseeable increase. Its not like we will have 20k or 40k caribou from this plan, yet we are going to diminish all other ungulate populations....great. Seems like we should have another plan. As far as the wolves, considering that can stretch their territories to 1000 km, well they will just keep moving and killing including the caribou once there is less moose, elk and deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post

Bull shit or not i read the plan and it seems that is what the attempt is made to be done reduce ungulate population around the purcell range to allow the predator population and if you had any sense of scientific apathy you would see it when you talk to the cat hunters and trappers in this southeastern area that the predator population is down and ask yourself why they put a mortorium on grizzly hunting in the zones region 4 22,21 ,21 the mandate is for all of canada in the federal level but here in the southeastern of our province we are protecting the caribou by decreasing the ungulate population to keep wolves and cats away from the critical habitat in the west kootenay but when you read the report you will see that it comes up into the rockies and it is protected by the idaho fish and game as they want the caribou to exist going back and forth across the border the discussion was very interestingr, and if your paying attention you will know that in the ST Marys valley it is of limit to ski doos as it is their prime wintering range and if the federal government gets involved that user group will probably will not be able to use that valley again , tinkering with our wildlife management year after year has to stop and long range plans have to be put in to place to allow future generations to enjoy what we had in the pass Have a nice day Mr Fischer
    Last edited by bigben; 03-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    bigben

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    Fisherdude have you gotten into the electric lettuce you keep accusing others of?
    I've heard variations of the same thing and it was confirmed during a public caribou awareness meeting in Fort St John in the spring of 2015. It was directed at industry stakeholders but I wasn't the only resident hunter in attendance. Besides their conclusion that grizzlies tend not to prey on caribou (something I believe given my own experiences viewing both in close vicinty to each other) the main speaker also stated that efforts were made in the lower regions of the province to significantly reduce moose populations in an effort to starve wolves out of caribou wintering areas. Prior to this admission I had pointed out to a close friend employed by the OGC in a caribou study that whoever thought this was a good policy should be taken out for a good beating as even the dimmest idiot would know when the moose were gone the caribou would be eaten. She did not deny that this policy had been put in place.
    I agree that most hunters tend to put too much credence into coffee shop talk but this has been discussed on here before by others more knowledgeable than me.
    Thank
    you Bear Chaser I am happy to know that we drink the same coffee
    bigben

Quote Originally Posted by Cordillera View Post
    You can read the federal recovery for southern mountain caribou here. http://www.registrelep-sararegistry....0114%5Fe%2Epdf

The federal plan identifies a need to reduce alternate prey (mostly moose). The science behind this is reasonable. In most caribou herd areas in the south part of the province we have been logging in their ranges and that has improved moose habitat and more food equals more moose. More moose over time supports more wolves and more wolves eat more caribou. There are lots of variables that make this relationship imperfect, but as a general rule it is reasonable.

Over the long haul one option is to manage logging and silviculture so it does not produce as much moose browse. That takes decades though.

The province has introduced measures to reduce moose density in a couple areas such as near Revelstoke but not everywhere.
    The province already has reduced moose densities in an attempt to reduce wolves and recover caribou.
    The recovery has been a fail even with the moose gone.
    Wolves find alternate prey sources.
    The Quesnel Highlands Caribou Recovery is a classic example.....millions spent....moose numbers reduced...caribou population still struggling and the wolves doing fine.
    When the project was peer reviewed it was stated that the one step nessasary for the caribou to recover was not done.
    That step was wolf removal.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    The province already has reduced moose densities in an attempt to reduce wolves and recover caribou.
    The Quesnel Highlands Caribou Recovery is a classic example.....millions spent....moose numbers reduced...caribou population still struggling and the wolves doing fine.
    When the project was peer reviewed it was stated that the one step nessasary for the caribou to recover was not done.
    really wish these kind of plans for predator issues would come to an end

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Your right on the money BV, seems like most of the management practice lately has catered to the hunting opportunity of the ungulates and less on the predators.
    Many have listen to the science that is built around this Alternative Prey Study and Line Of Site defence. Management can't wrap their head around the fact
    that wolves need to eat and they can pretty much out run anything in BC.

The funds have been there for proper management studies of the caribou and nothing has changed toward prey management, open hunting season on wolves is a joke and
    its time to fire up those helicopters and get their population were it belongs.
    Starving out the wolf will result less hunting opportunity of all ungulates if management continues on the path that we are taking.

You want to hear hunters bitching about the lack of hunter opportunity, wait until there is nothing left to hunt.