Thread: Saskatchewan Non-Resident Whitetail Application/ Draw Info

Question Saskatchewan Non-Resident Whitetail Application/ Draw Info

So my buddy from Sask says he has permission to hunt 640 acres over there...right on! So I know its a draw system for non-residents. Anyone here gone through the process before? Any pointers? Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Saskatchewan Non-Resident Whitetail Application/ Draw Info

Noone has hunted over in Sask for deer I take it...

I applied the first year they went to the draw. It was essentially guaranteed. Now, not so much I don't think. Any ways.... I don't think the process is all that hard, certainly NOT more complicated than the new BC system. Looking at last years draw, it seems May is the month to submit your applications. The only pointer I can give is apply for the area that your friend has permission for, and even with that said, unless the land is posted, you can hunt it, BUT, it is somewhat frowned upon and you should ask for permission, which a lot of time is freely granted. (This I learned from the 306 Hunters facebook page)
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

ok great thanks

I don't come here often...............but yes I have applied in the SK hunt to which you refer.

You need to get a Saskatchewan HAL number, which you can do on-line.

Once you have that, you need to be certain of the hunting zone in which you would be hunting, similar to the BC LEH system, and you apply to the draw. The first time I applied, I had to include the HAL number and name of my host, but I don't think I had to do that last year. Regardless, it is a good idea to know your host's HAL number.

The SK Fish and Game Dept folks are excellent to deal with, the best I have dealt with across the country, and there are real live human beings you can speak with on the phone if you have questions or run into snags.

If you get drawn, you will need to buy your licence and tags at an issuer, but basically every gun store and similar is a licence issuer.

They have a good follow-up survey, and basically everything about dealing with SK is a MUCH easier process than BC, YT, AB, MB, QC and ON. I have never applied to any of the maritime provinces, so I have no opinion about their systems.

Good luck to you!

Doug
    So many guns, so little time.......