Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parvovirus

Re: Parvovirus

1-2 weeks after exposure Brent.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    1-2 weeks after exposure Brent.
    I probably shouldn't have taken my pup into the various parks as early as I did because she just had her second set of shots last Tuesday,,,,,I didn't know any better. I guess another week or so will tell the "tail' if it was too soon. The kennel owner of my dog is like you,,,,vaccinations starting at 6 weeks, then 10, and so on if that makes any difference. I've heard most people go the 8, 12 ,16 week route with the vaccinations.

I just wanted to start socializing her early and for the most part any dog owner we met I asked if their dog was up to date with their shots. They all said yes but who really knows. Have to say, though, my pup sure likes meeting other people out there on the trails and other dogs, too, for the most part unless their grab big behemoths that come at her too quickly so it seems like she's well on her way to be socialized.

Thanks for the info.

Incubation period (time between getting infected and falling ill) is 3 - 7 days.

Veterinarypartner.com has a good series of articles on Parvo (and many other illnesses).

There are many different vaccination protocols out there, but most commonly the pup is vaccinated 3 times 3-4 weeks apart, then again when 1 year old and thereafter only every 3 years.

Wouldn't wish this on anyone. Watching a pup get parvo is one of the saddest things a dog owner can experience. It is a very Violent disease. Have seen it twice, and they only have around a 50% survival rate if you don't take them in.