Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to deer hunting

Re: New to deer hunting

I aproach hunting whitetail vs mule deer very different for this reason I would advise picking 1 of the two species for starters. In my opinion I would focuse on the species that is in higher numbers near your location. Than do as much reaserch on the habitat the species proffers, their habits and how they change throughout the season. Focuse on the tactics that are more adapted to the species.

This in my opinion would be a good starting point for starting out. Rather than try to learn too much at once focusing on 1 can help speed up the learning curve first season. Can always expand species as you go

If both species are an option ask your self what style of hunting interests you more?

Whitetail is more about patterning the deer. Often thick bush close corders hunting lower elevation. Ambush is my go to but under the right conditions still hunting can be good. Calling in the rut is more effective with whitetail. Whitetail are spookier and less forgiving if alarmed

Mule migrate more so throughout the year patterns are short term in comparison. Depending on the location and time of year you can hunt alpine to low elevation. Terrain is often steeper and more physical. Tactics are more so spot and stalk or still hunting. Hunt can take place in wide open areas or timber ridges. Mule deer the range of the shot opertunity can really vary depending on where and how you hunt. Mule deer are more likely to stop and give a second chance if you spook them. Some times simply whistling can stop them long enough for a shot

Also recommend picking an area with deer and learning it in and out rather than driving all over looking for a dream location. In depth knowledge on an OK location trumps no knowledge of a great location in my opinion.

Or you could drive around try to get lucky and stubble into deer. Expensive not my thing but some like it

Best of luck pick what interests you most and gain as much knowledge you can both are rewarding to hunt but very different

If your near the coast don't ignore the little black tail they can be a fun yet frustrating deer to hunt

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Practice leaping out of your truck with a 7 foot spear. Might want to keep both windows open.
    Maybe he'll just keep his arm out the window holding the spear

hey it's Jelvis up on the patio in Kammy double wammy. You want mules? Come to Kammy you'll see mules.
    If I was you I'd try leh mules for sure if it's done this season coming. Gives you a real good chance up in Kammy area. LEH mules? Check last years leh to see in general.
    I can help you in this arena all around Kammy has world class mule deer habitat equal to Colorado or Utah for mules.
    Plan, start now, thinking and dreaming about where and when and what you want to be successful on.
    You can get within bow range in and on many gorgeous ridges for mules only minutes from your vee hick le haha.
    Like I said, I can help point out some spots close to kammy but you have to decide what yah want'
    What do you want?
    Jelvis the Pelvis -- Dah Beastie Boyz - What do you want? What chah, what chah, what chaw want?
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-10-2017 at 08:11 AM.

I got a friend who uses bow for mules up here in Kammy. He got one in 2016.
    I don't use bows but a person can get their first mule with a rifle also instead if he or she wants too.
    Here in Kamloops the southern interior the land is perfect for mules. Ridges high and low with plateaus and deer trails. Nice walking and you can see near and far in many spots.
    Mule deer here are family orientated and the herd is family. Does and fawns hang out 4 ever butt the big buck is like a light house, he stands alone.
    Jelly -- Mule deer have excellent venison for the high class as well -- they dig the meat --

NOOOOOOOO! after a year, ol'Jorge is back. I thot we were done with that chapter of hbc

Welcome back jelly belly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    hey it's Jelvis up on the patio in Kammy double wammy. You want mules? Come to Kammy you'll see mules.
    If I was you I'd try leh mules for sure if it's done this season coming. Gives you a real good chance up in Kammy area. LEH mules? Check last years leh to see in general.
    I can help you in this arena all around Kammy has world class mule deer habitat equal to Colorado or Utah for mules.
    Plan, start now, thinking and dreaming about where and when and what you want to be successful on.
    You can get within bow range in and on many gorgeous ridges for mules only minutes from your vee hick le haha.
    Like I said, I can help point out some spots close to kammy but you have to decide what yah want'
    What do you want?
    Jelvis the Pelvis -- Dah Beastie Boyz - What do you want?
    Well looky here what the cat drug in!
    Good to see your smiling face again Jel . yo
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Nothing like salty when yer needin a treat, Salty your the best.
    Youse hunters know the score
    Jel -- this is home folks --

wow...your back...

Welcome back Jel..honestly it hasn't been the same without you !
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..