Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to deer hunting

New to deer hunting

Hello, everyone.

As is stated in the threat title, I am new to deer hunting. I moved to the province some years ago. Right now, I've been going through the motions to acquire a BC Hunting license, and hope to be out there by this Autumn.

I'd like to step up my game from the mere rabbits I used to hunt. My experience is with using javelins and a bow. Before I get any comments criticizing my choice of tools, keep in mind that I had a lot of practice before even coming close to being confident enough to make a kill. It's been several years, but I'm knocking rust off. That said, I'd like to upgrade to using an atlatl. They're designed to have more penetration power with their large darts than an average bow.

I'd use a rifle or bow, and maybe I will change my mind, but I like to be adventurous in life (although I've shot aplenty with both). As far as I've been able to find out, there is nothing stopping me, legally, from using my choice of tools.

Anyways, I figured this forum would be a good place to learn about how to hunt Deer effectively. I see the government sites only have so much to say. I'll check out other threads, but I was wondering if some of you guys have some tips. I only have experience in stalking game. I understand deer behaviour for the most part. I'm used to some real cro-magnon stuff, so I'm not concerned about overly special tools. I'm also aware that one must be supervised, with a first-time license.

Do with that what you may. Or maybe I'm not being specific enough...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Javert; 03-03-2017 at 12:17 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to deer hunting

What species of deer are you after? Each species behaves somewhat differently from the other.

Likely both whitetail and mule. Mostly mule.

"I'm also aware that one must be supervised, with a first-time license."

I think you've mixed up a basic licence vs initiation licence.

You are required to be supervised on an initiation licence, but not on your first year with basic licence...if you are somewhat experienced and committed, just take your core and get your basic, don't bother with the initiation as you would have to find a willing mentor, and your harvest is part of their limit
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

^^^^what he said....and I'll add: for mulies you have at least a chance using spot and stalk, with whitetails on the other hand, you'll have to sit your ass down for a while on well used trails etc to have any shot using your preferred methods..this is all just from my experience of course..good luck...

Where are you located? There are many good areas to start hunting, but it depends on how far your willing to go.

Just hope you post up some pics/vids of your hunt...

If you understand deer behavior for the most part then you should have no problems at all. Deer senses are sharp, they have 270 degree vision that is very sensitive to motion, especially within 100 yards... and thats their weakest sense. So you may want to start with a rifle/bow before moving onto an atlatl or javelin.

Sounds like the CORE course is a great place to start. There are some limitations on allowable weapons but that will be covered in the course. Lots of folks ok here will tell you it takes some combination of time, luck and sweat to kill a deer. Mine have been heavy on the time and sweat but I've always wanted one of the lucky variety.

Good luck, happy hunting!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Practice leaping out of your truck with a 7 foot spear. Might want to keep both windows open.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories