Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a Dog Advice

Hunting with a Dog Advice

Hello HBC,
    How many fellow hunters bring a dog with them when they hunt? I have a Redbone Coonhound (hunting breed) and although he has no experience I would love to bring him along when I go hunting. How many of you guys do this? I could see some problems if you were stalking an animal or if he started barking etc, so I'm wondering how many of you guys bring your dog with when you hunt.
    Thanks,

2. Site Sponsor

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Hunting with a Dog Advice

When you're actually hunting deer etc, the dog has to be leashed.
    I have always brought mine along if I'm hunting birds as well as moose or deer.
    It's backfired on me a couple of times because of his barking with excitement when
    drawing my bow on deer. He's mature now and that issue has passed. It's important
    to have it trained to heel properly...even better if it's trained to stay behind your legs.

I would think that a leash that clips onto a waist belt would be ideal for that kind of thing...better than trying to hold yet another thing (trekking poles, rifle, binos, whatever else!)

It does have its challenges , especially if your pup is still in training. I always keep him leashed and loop it through my belt. If he/she has a dog tag that jingles it should be removed. My dog always barks at me when I'm in a shooting position or if he sees animals in the city or from the truck. For some reason whenever we are hunting he doesn't make a sound just stands and stares. We've practiced multiple times while watching does and he's learning.
    Nothing better than sharing a kill with your sidekick !

I'm looking at getting a Norwegian Elkhound for a hunting buddy, pretty excited about it

Hmmm not too bad..but not for bears..! Dogs will return and cower between your legs..will fit..bears not so much..
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by dirtymax View Post
    It does have its challenges , especially if your pup is still in training. I always keep him leashed and loop it through my belt. If he/she has a dog tag that jingles it should be removed. My dog always barks at me when I'm in a shooting position or if he sees animals in the city or from the truck. For some reason whenever we are hunting he doesn't make a sound just stands and stares. We've practiced multiple times while watching does and he's learning.
    Nothing better than sharing a kill with your sidekick !
    This is my goal, as well, with my new pup, a wired-hair pointing griff. I know the dog must be on leash but I have to wonder when he is looped to your belt if she/he could pull you off your POA. I like the idea of practicing on does.

Cool Re: Hunting with a Dog Advice

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm not too bad..but not for bears..! Dogs will return and cower between your legs..will fit..bears not so much...
    Pick the right Dawg my Friend!

Boogs pretty much instantly attacks any bear he sees.
    Dunno why and I've had him since 5 weeks - he just does.
    At damn near 150 pounds he is a handful for most, so they tree or run.
    Those that stay on the ground tend to leave hair and red fluid behind.

He's still a little shaky on deer when off leash (not hunting) but damn quiet and observant in the blind...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    This is my goal, as well, with my new pup, a wired-hair pointing griff. I know the dog must be on leash but I have to wonder when he is looped to your belt if she/he could pull you off your POA. I like the idea of practicing on does.
    I would not tie or loop a leash to my belt...instead loop it around my waist or use a Jaeger leash.Either way,the dog should walk beside you or in front of you (if you want him to find game for you)on a command like "up front".In training you will have to teach him not to go from side to side but ahead of you,on contact with game you can teach him to "point"or to lay down.The most important part is for the dog to keep contact with the handler in the presence of game to obey quiet commands like a hissing sound to lay down.
    You can practise on any type of game or cats(domestic),he will realise that the Command you give him (up front or whatever)is a stalking and slow down command.
    Rainer

Unless their off the leash they will be attached to you somehow so there's always a chance they could move but that's where training and trust comes in . We sat and watched 3 does for 5 minutes and he sat completely still and not a sound . Later on stopped for some water sitting against a tree and he noticed does coming up the hill right behind us , yet again no noise just complete Focus. Huge accomplishment for him considering he will go nuts over wild cattle from the truck or squirrels in the yard ! Lol