Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a Dog Advice

Re: Hunting with a Dog Advice

I take my standard poodle hunting regularly. She's the perfect dog for me. Won't chase or bark at game and is a phenomenal tracker.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Don`t get me wrong, I have had 3 dogs over almost 50 years that were better and smarter than most any human I have ever met.Spent many years with them in the bush and never had to tell them anything, they just got it. Raised all of them from puppies too. And everyone of them I miss and remember like yesterday. Baron, Bean and Wiley. I`d give anything to have one like them again. The one I have now is nuts, love her but she ain`t like those guys. Maybe I`ll get lucky and stumble across another champ. By the way, all 3 of them were mongrels.One was a Sheperd/collie, and one was a Lab/ basset(funny looking dog), and a Rottie/ sheperd/ heeler(he looked like a big littlest hobo). Best smartest most loyal guys I have ever been lucky enough to meet.
    Crap, now I feel like going to the pound to find the next one.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    NEVER tie her to your belt unless you want to be dragged like a cowboy after getting hung up in a bull ride.
    Amen, brother, amen.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

one thought that I didn't see here... maybe it is...
    Your dog is a coon hound.... it is bread to howell... it might be too loud to hunt with...

Arrow Re: Hunting with a Dog Advice

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    ... Iron noggin s" dog does not sound average...
    Boogs (aka Amaruq) certainly is not what I'd call "average". he's a mix of 1/2 Timber Wolf (Yukon North Slope) and 1/2 Alaskan Husky (Inuvik). Weighs in just shy of 150 these days, but both him and I are tipping the scales on the slightly heavy side these days (sigh!).
    ZERO Fear in that animal of anything. Extreme Hatred for all bears (like I said, must be a genetic thing?).
    Deadly cold / blood trailer who has well proven his worth:

You are absolutely right on "average" pets though. Generally can be turned into bear munchies extremely quickly, if they don't bring the bear running to try you out first!

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    ... I had a good grip on both collars when I nudged the door open. Next thing I knew I was being dragged across the deck by two demons, accumulating belly slivers, and the coon was long gone. I'm 220lbs.
    LOL!!!
    Many Thanks! I needed a good chuckle today, and I could actually see that in my mind's eye as it developed! Awesome!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Boogs (aka Amaruq) certainly is not what I'd call "average". he's a mix of 1/2 Timber Wolf (Yukon North Slope) and 1/2 Alaskan Husky (Inuvik). Weighs in just shy of 150 these days, but both him and I are tipping the scales on the slightly heavy side these days (sigh!).
    ZERO Fear in that animal of anything. Extreme Hatred for all bears (like I said, must be a genetic thing?).
    Deadly cold / blood trailer who has well proven his worth:

You are absolutely right on "average" pets though. Generally can be turned into bear munchies extremely quickly, if they don't bring the bear running to try you out first!

LOL!!!
    Many Thanks! I needed a good chuckle today, and I could actually see that in my mind's eye as it developed! Awesome!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    how is his temperment with discipline, and other dogs?

Cool Re: Hunting with a Dog Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    how is his temperment with discipline, and other dogs?
    He has a great temperament and is well disciplined. Has to be at his size.
    One hell of a lot of time, attention, love & training involved with any wolf hybrid.
    Worth it in the long run IMO.

OK with other dogs as long as they do not try to dominate him.
    He will simply not stand for any of that.
    Otherwise quite friendly.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

It is not that hard to get a dog to hunt with you but temperament and bid ability are foremost. You must be able to keep sentiments at bay when facing reality and cut your losses. If the dog isn't working it probably isn't ever. Genotype trumps Phenotype.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Pick the right Dawg my Friend!

Boogs pretty much instantly attacks any bear he sees.
    Dunno why and I've had him since 5 weeks - he just does.
    At damn near 150 pounds he is a handful for most, so they tree or run.
    Those that stay on the ground tend to leave hair and red fluid behind.

He's still a little shaky on deer when off leash (not hunting) but damn quiet and observant in the blind...

Cheers,
    Nog
    What breed of dog ??

*question already answered . Timber wolf/ husky
    perseverance pays off

Still a couple years away from the dog of my choice: Dogo Argentino or Wolfhound.
    The giant I have now is a sweetheart and not that much into "working" ...

all 3lbs of toy, would rather spend his time with the kids.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand