Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neuter your Male Gun Dog... Yes/No?

Re: Neuter your Male Gun Dog... Yes/No?

Trial dogs, show dogs are all intact. If you have control of your animal there is no issue.

Steve,if you are not going to breed your dog it is wise to neuter him...he'll be easier to control for your wife and kids and for losing drive,I don't think so,he'll have more drive than you want at times.We had enouugh dogs that were neutered and plenty of them that were not and honestly,there is no difference in how they performed...if your dog has the DNA to work (don't worry he will)it doesn't matter if he has nuts or not.At the last years VJP here in BC the dog that had the highest score in Canada was a neutered male.
    A stud dog is like a stud horse,wouldn't keep a stud horse just to go trail riding.

Rainer

^ I'm not a dog expert so am essentially just interjecting anecdotal evidence of little value, but I was going to say something that agrees with Rainer. A working dog will work because he's meant to work. Our working-dog-by-breeding-but-not-a-working-dog-in-practice (chocolate lab) has been fully of energy since before and long after we chopped off the goods at 7 months. When we fiddled around doing some tracking with him, he was tops. Could barely hold him back.

And he stands up for himself when he needs to, but isn't much much of a fighter if it's unnecessary.

Also throwing my uneducated 2 cents in as we just got a new pup, knowing nothing of how to train a working dog properly or not, our Vet suggested waiting at least a year to have him neutered, for larger breeds of dogs she said this is how long it can take for the growth plates in a pup to fuse together, she said it is thought that neutering a male specifically before the fusing of the growth plate can lead to joint issues "ie what soemone said earlier" and she said the same as previous that trainig trumps nutting a dog 99% of the time.

She also said that neutering became such a huge thig due to the old time feral dogs etc, that in our area just dont really exist anymore.

Anyways thats just what we were told when askin about neutering our new pup.
    ~Wes

every time my vet talks about neutering, which is every visit, I ask if she can install a set of neuticles so it doesn't affect his confidence...

http://www.neuticles.com/ultra.php

oddly enough I've only heard one story of a vet actually installing a set of neuts, and it was a dog in yaletown lol
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post

A female in heat will attract any un-neutered male from a great distance. It is difficult to control no matter how well trained.

I'd say even neutered males will go after her.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by SPEYMAN View Post
    Trial dogs, show dogs are all intact. If you have control of your animal there is no issue.
    This^. If you want a whole dog be it male or female be prepared to deal with the issue. It can by all means be done. I have been involved and around gundogs my entire life we have always had both bitches and male yet in all that time I have had one OOPS litter and that was through the males determination( he went over 2, 7 ft fences to get at a bitch in heat) not our lack of diligence. I would not alter a dog just because it is supposedly easier to keep there is a tread off in every thing you do so decide wisely you can't sew them back on.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Had a young male hound that was going great guns trail and treeing real good for a young dog had him nuetered and he was never the same slowed right down and never really advanced ending up giving him away as a pet that's just my two cents worth

Ya they say to not neuter a dog for at least 5 years now ... fks with the development of the dog bad. You wanna wait till they are past their prime. At that point ... im not sure if i would bother
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

There is always the chance that the dog becomes a "one in a thousand" of what ever it was bred for. That will not be known for some time. When it becomes evident that this dog has all the natural inbred traits that should be carried on, they are not available. Be the master and have your animal under control, not altered.