Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neuter your Male Gun Dog... Yes/No?

Re: Neuter your Male Gun Dog... Yes/No?

Here is the reality,most hunting dogs are mostly companion dogs and 30% hunting dog ,are not used nearly enough to burn all that excess energie off on a daily basis and most dog qwners don't spend enough time training their dog, period,add to this mixture a dog that is intact...frustrated,underworked and oversexed...how is he going to release his frustration---agression.
    Within the first 2 years you'll see what the dogs makeup is and if he ain't a superstar(Breeding material),do the world a favour and neuter him (unless you work the dog every day and keep him at a level where he is manageable).
    Rainer

Non of the hunting dogs I have been exposed to have any reason or place where they would or should show aggression. Hunting bred dogs fight or bite for very few reasons. There aggressive streak has been bred out, the Chesapeakes being the exception. A well fed, under control dog would have no reason for aggression.

Why would you want to alter your pets personality and have it neutered. Make a decision when you have the information that would indicate neutering would solve the issue. There are early signs showing that there could be an issue, react then,immediately. I would not own a dog that showed any aggression.
    Last edited by SPEYMAN; 03-04-2017 at 02:25 PM.

sex drive shit is a reality specially if you handle more then one dog at a time.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

The very reason a bitch in heat is not allowed to participate in trials (competitions). Owners should be aware of cycles and avoid others that may have an issue. Be a responsible owner and control your animals.

Not just bitches in heat..fixed males get allot of attention
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by SPEYMAN View Post
    There aggressive streak has been bred out, the Chesapeakes being the exception.
    and all the continental versatile dogs.
    Any continental Hunting dog that has to prove "Hardness"as a breeding requirement will have enough oomph in him to show agggression.

Aggression should not be confused with desire and drive.

Unless you're planning on having a litter at some point, I'd get him neutered. Yeah, you can keep him intact and work the dog and such to offset the benefits of neutering, but again, if your not planning on having a litter, get him neutered.
    I would focus more on training and being consistent than whether my dog should keep his nuts.

I guess the obvious question would be is your dog CKC/AKC registered? Was it sold under a non breeding contract? If not are you willing to have it health and genetic tested? Answers to these questions would help with advice. Also as Speyman says aggression and drive, desire and toughness are totally different things. Don't get them confused
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.