Thread: Tanning Snowshoe Hare Pelts

Tanning Snowshoe Hare Pelts

Does anyone here tan pelts of the snowshoe hares that they get? The few up here that hunt them shred the pelts to get at the meat faster, but for ethical reasons (as well as pure curiosity) I would like to actually use the fur. Anyone else do this?
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tanning Snowshoe Hare Pelts

I dried a few when I was a kid and tried tanning one, but it didn't work for me, not sure why, maybe because the skin in so thin.

Re: Tanning Snowshoe Hare Pelts

I tanned a couple last year. Salted to store them. Soaked salt out with water, then used egg yolk and a wet towel and left overnight. Worked to soften and smoked for few minutes as they are thin until the colour changed to beige. Threw them into the sink to get wet and test, they dried soft. I will be doing this again this year - I have new niece that needs a soft bunny blanket to snuggle in.