Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

Question Re: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwelve View Post
    i do love fishing but i will not be doing any up there during this trip
    That's perhaps a mistake?

I'd at least have a steelhead rod along...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

Brings back many memories. A QCI deer was my first "big" game animal, when I was 14. I was solo, creeping through a block and jumped a group of 4 or 5. As the adrenaline flooded my system i picked one at random and aimed my grandpas .222, sqeezed a shot and knocked one over. My dad found me and we went to look at my trophy: it weighed at least 30lbs! But it sure was tender.

"Don't fixate on getting the biggest bucks out there. Does open Sept and they make awesome table fare. In my opinion, it's probably more important to go through all the steps of finding an animal, stalking, shooting, finding, field dressing and finally quartering the animal than collecting a little set of antlers. You will have 5 tags each so you can get a lot experience in a short time if you try. When I do drive back to the lowermainland with fish or deer I try to take a night ferry back, get a room on board and then I drive it in one shot (about 17 hours)."

This^^. Hunted 5 days in early June as a relative newbie a couple of years ago. There are deer everywhere. Really. Its a perfect opportunity to learn how to dress and butcher. Doesn't even count against your provincial limit... Bullet choice and shot placement is something to consider. Stay away from the shoulder, they are not big, so with an expanding bullet and a shoulder shot , you will regret the meat you lose. But what amazing meat.... There's a store in QCC that will sell you ice by the cooler. Ice>spruce boughs>meat = perfect. You will have success and fun!

Also, listen to Nog...

Tons of great info, Thank you! My family and I are going September 10th to 19th. Coho are running then and we are hoping to do some fishing as well.
    "Fight back, no battles have ever been won by a coward"

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    That's perhaps a mistake?

I'd at least have a steelhead rod along...

Cheers,
    Nog
    The BEST time of year for steel head fishing in the QCIs is in Dec and Jan and the the BEST river is the Yakoun River - The BEST time for COHO fishing is in Late August and September - 2 Real good COHO rivers to fish are the TLELL River and the PALLANT River RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 03-03-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Exactly, I lived in Port Clements as a kid and I still have family there, nobody calls it Haida Gwaii

i greatly appreciate all the help from everyone, just need a place to stay near QC. motel? or AirBnB? any recommendations?

Hecate inn, aint the ritz but reasonable
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post
    "Don't fixate on getting the biggest bucks out there. Does open Sept and they make awesome table fare. In my opinion, it's probably more important to go through all the steps of finding an animal, stalking, shooting, finding, field dressing and finally quartering the animal than collecting a little set of antlers. You will have 5 tags each so you can get a lot experience in a short time if you try. When I do drive back to the lowermainland with fish or deer I try to take a night ferry back, get a room on board and then I drive it in one shot (about 17 hours)."

This^^. Hunted 5 days in early June as a relative newbie a couple of years ago. There are deer everywhere. Really. Its a perfect opportunity to learn how to dress and butcher. Doesn't even count against your provincial limit... Bullet choice and shot placement is something to consider. Stay away from the shoulder, they are not big, so with an expanding bullet and a shoulder shot , you will regret the meat you lose. But what amazing meat.... There's a store in QCC that will sell you ice by the cooler. Ice>spruce boughs>meat = perfect. You will have success and fun!

Are you sure? From what I know once you've tagged 3 QCI blacktails you're done in the rest of BC, unless you're going for the 15 count by the end of season in QCI.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand