Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

Re: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwelve View Post
    we were planing to head up setptember 30th and come back before thanksgiving on the saturday. just planing to have a few coolers and repacking the ice. i have a dodge 1500 crew cab with stock box and tonneau cover. debating if i will have camping gear or just stay in town somewhere and leaving before sunrise to get into the bush and hike the day before returning for the night.

i dont think i am experianced enough to set up a camp and skin butcher the deer myself since i have never done that before.

also is a 30-06 to big of a rifle?
    30-06 will work just fine, just try to get a solid bullet - Barnes TSX/TTSX or Hornady GMX, I find it's less meat wasted -less bloodshot- then SST, Core-Lokt etc.
    Skinning is not rocket science, watch some videos, get a couple good knives and get at it. Good friend of mine told me fun ends once you shot, then the work begins. Words to live by.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Can't go wrong with federal premium copper solids either, cabelas usually has them for my 06

Quote Originally Posted by recoil View Post
    Can't go wrong with federal premium copper solids either, cabelas usually has them for my 06
    Is that still considered an expanding bullet?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

This looks like it would be such a fun hunt. I was just watching some youtube videos people had posted of their hunts last week.

I have done that hunt several times, usually in Feb. weather usually permits hanging the deer for up to a week, just set up a tarp so that it stays dry but so that air can circulate. most likely you will lose several tenderloins to thieving pine martens. i would suggest taking the plunge and skinning and butchering yourself, no time like the present to learn. worst case scenario you end up with more ground meat if you mess something up. if you can hang for $6 a day then that sounds pretty sweet. we usually hunted the south island out of sandspit, if you are tenting then morsby camp or grey bay are great spots. rennel sound is also a good place to stay and hunt. road hunting is productive, as is glassing cut blocks, or of course walking is great. we have had good hunts from a boat, just cruise until you see deer on the shore and keep going around the next corner then try to sneak back on foot. 30-06 will be fine, just keep the bullets in the ribs and away from the shoulders. those deer are incredibly mild flavoured and tender, and a good first animal to hunt. i used to hunt with open sights and go for head shots, usually the shots are pretty close.

Been twice in November. I got tired of killing at 4 deer each time. Be picky there are some very descent bucks there if you hold off.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Has anyone done the drive from the lower mainland? Looks like a very good first hunt, I would love to do it if I can find the time. Does anyone use calls up there or is it mainly just spot and stalk? And do you guys prefer North Island or South Island?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    On here its called the queen Charlotte's or qci. No Haida gwaii bs terms here
    YUP ! QCI - Still the Queen Charlotte Islands ! RJ

Someone mentioned Barry the butcher in Queen Charlotte City. He is a good guy and he is fast. For a good motel I usually go to Engelhards Oceanview Lodge in Massett. They do a complementary breakfast starting at 6am and you can put your deer in their freezer. To get deer, drive the Mainline. The deer are all over. Don't bring a big gun since you will waste a lot of meat. I use a 20 gauge rifled slug gun. Any time is good for hunting but early fall has decent weather most days and it is less crowded. BTW there are bears so if you want to get one be aware that only a half dozen in total can be harvested each year then the bear season is closed on QCI.

Quote Originally Posted by LachlanStevs View Post
    Has anyone done the drive from the lower mainland? Looks like a very good first hunt, I would love to do it if I can find the time. Does anyone use calls up there or is it mainly just spot and stalk? And do you guys prefer North Island or South Island?
    ill be driving up from the fraser valley, finding the right ferry for the right amount of time is the hardest part so far haha