Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

***i know this forum is for mainland, but i wasnt getting any help in the island forums and i have till end of week to get my girlfriends vacation requests in.***

Hello!

2016 was my first year actually hunting for deer by hiking the bush and not just driving some logging roads.. I still have not gotten anything (not just deer) and was planing a trip to Haida Gwaii.
    i want to take my girlfriend for a week or so to see all the scenery and if we are lucky bag a few deers. we are trying to find out when to book time off work, we plan on driving to up Prince Rupert from the fraser valley and taking the ferry over.

iv been reading that you can go during summer or winter, but im not sure when the best times are, where to stay or camp(tent), and if there is a place to get the game butcherd if we happen to get something.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

I can't help you cause I've never been. But it's on my wish list. Have fun, post pics when you get back.

Same here, I would go in July or august to take advantage of the fishing also. Then you would still have the fall to hunt mulie and elk or moose. If you have a truck I would bring a suitcase generator and a decent sized freezer, even if you find a game cooler it is a long drive home in the heat. Lots of info on Haida if you check out the search feature.

In waiting for a reply....do a search or advanced search (upper right hand of the page) on the forum as there have been some threads with a fair bit of info in them.

i did do that i only saw one or 2 posts... maybe i spelt it wrong.. i just copy and pasted and yes there is a hand full of info thanks!

we are trying to avoid july as we were in eruope for it last year and august is book for other employees.. was thinking maybe september long weekend? or thanksgiving?

On here its called the queen Charlotte's or qci. No Haida gwaii bs terms here

I wouldn't go to QCI in the summer, it's too busy, too many things to do and you'll get distracted. Yes, it will be easier then late fall, yes you will connect, yes you will have fishing to do as well and a relatively good and easy hunt. No need to bring a generator and freezer, don't waste money on the extra trailers you'd have to ferry across. If you decide to go, then just give a shout to Barry Windercker (250-559-4586) and let him know when you're going. You got a choice of storing your deer in his walk in- skinned - for 6$/day, or have him butcher it.

Being your first hunt I presume you'll choose August/September. If it was me I'd go in January, season runs in QCI until February 28th. You won't need no freezers, and if you go completely bust on mainland, you're still going to come back with meat for the freezer. Granted, it's going to cost you, but the experience is well worth it.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

From prince rupert here, Gateway to qci lots of guys go in mid January your allowed 5 deer per trip weather is generally around 0 to plus 5 in January so you won't need much to keep the meat cool

Not much help, but most certainly some inspiration.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...in-Haida-Gwaii
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

we were planing to head up setptember 30th and come back before thanksgiving on the saturday. just planing to have a few coolers and repacking the ice. i have a dodge 1500 crew cab with stock box and tonneau cover. debating if i will have camping gear or just stay in town somewhere and leaving before sunrise to get into the bush and hike the day before returning for the night.

i dont think i am experianced enough to set up a camp and skin butcher the deer myself since i have never done that before.

also is a 30-06 to big of a rifle?