Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

Re: New Hunter Planning a trip to Haida Gwaii

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwelve View Post
    ***i know this forum is for mainland, but i wasnt getting any help in the island forums and i have till end of week to get my girlfriends vacation requests in.***

Hello!

2016 was my first year actually hunting for deer by hiking the bush and not just driving some logging roads.. I still have not gotten anything (not just deer) and was planing a trip to Haida Gwaii.
    i want to take my girlfriend for a week or so to see all the scenery and if we are lucky bag a few deers. we are trying to find out when to book time off work, we plan on driving to up Prince Rupert from the fraser valley and taking the ferry over.

iv been reading that you can go during summer or winter, but im not sure when the best times are, where to stay or camp(tent), and if there is a place to get the game butcherd if we happen to get something.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
    Best time to go is never. Every year, deer become more scarce because of off-island hunters arriving in droves. Many islanders depend on deer for food. Would you care to have us come over and dip into your freezer?

Quote Originally Posted by Georooney View Post
    Best time to go is never. Every year, deer become more scarce because of off-island hunters arriving in droves. Many islanders depend on deer for food. Would you care to have us come over and dip into your freezer?
    Are you comparing your freezer to crown land? or maybe even the ocean where people can go fishing?

Then I guess it’s a good thing you dredged up a thread that’s been dormant for over a year to put the idea into peoples heads again! People come from other places to hunt my backyard too. It’s just how it goes.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

thanks for bumping thisbthread lots of good info here was planning a family holiday.

Looks like HG is closed to tourists/hunters for now.

I'd normally start planning our November trip for when it's back open, but I don't trust the locals to not shut it down again if there's more Covid in the fall.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

The locals don't own the deer, they're a public resource. I spend thousands on the north island when I'm there- truck rental, restaurants, meat cutting, motels, gas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    The locals don't own the deer, they're a public resource. I spend thousands on the north island when I'm there- truck rental, restaurants, meat cutting, motels, gas, etc.
    Edit: also, any local who can't find deer there should give up on hunting. I sometimes get 2 before lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by almostalaska25 View Post
    From prince rupert here, Gateway to qci lots of guys go in mid January your allowed 5 deer per trip weather is generally around 0 to plus 5 in January so you won't need much to keep the meat cool
    Dont go in January. All the does have fawns in them . Should be illegal.

. PM if you want a bit of info.
    I live here.

I live here , and i hunt off island . If you think off islanders are dipping into your freezer you must be a shitty hunter lol. Maybe all the pitlamping going on at night is having an effect on you freezer. But if you cant fill your freezer up here on Haida Gwaii then i would sujest you hang up your rifle .LOL.