Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Identifying a Good Black Bear

Identifying a Good Black Bear

Hey HBC,

Been doing lots of research on spring black bear hunts but there is one thing that I'm struggling with and that is gauging the actual quality of a bear. I understand the differences between sows and boars but I am turning to you guys to ask what are the main features you look for before shooting a black bear? When I am looking at bears i am wondering besides the sex what are some dead giveaways that the bear is an animal I should take? Another thing that would be helpful is if you could share some photos of bears you have taken so I can start to get a better understanding of what a shooter bear looks like.

Thanks everyone for your help,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Identifying a Good Black Bear

Hmmm big ones look big..
    Look for wide head..not narrow..small ears hanging off side of head..no mic key mouse ears standing up..
    Think w I d e...look for short noses. .wide big heads make noses look thick and short..coffee can nose..
    Like male grizzlies the big Boyz develop muscle creases down the forehead..big foreheads that a 8" plate would fit..this catches sunlight highlighting the forehead size.
    Look for thick front legs that look like stove pipes..no tapering..no wrist..think stovepipe arms.
    Tracks..front feet..wide ith in inches..add 1 change to feet..da da..6 " wide front track will give you 7 foot black bear.
    Trophy size for blacks..6 footer.
    By will have wider legs than length..ie 6 foot 4 inch wide..will be wider than length..ie 5 foot 9..
    Big boys will be heavy low hanging bellies even in spring..
    Boys will have a neck..females will look like their heads are plunked on their body..no necks..
    Great coats on black bears..will look blue..so black they look blue..equals long luxurious coats..when rubbed the brown under hairs stop that blue shine..
    Look at the length of head..can you put 5 more heads behind it along the neck and body...
    Caution...! Sometimes as with grizzlies. .you can encounter a huge bear..once they break the 7 foot size..on the way to 8 foot they will make the head look small..it doesn't make sense.. small ears, wide head, muscle crease, coffe can nose stove pipe legs..but once these bears hit 400 pounds..their heads appear small..only because the body is huge.
    The average black bear harvested is under or at 200 pounds...double this to 400..500 pounds it changes the proportions..head looks small..far different than head body of 200 pounder.
    This is just starters certain I have missed some aspects..but a start?
    Cheers
    Srupp

Hmm several years ago I was out in Tatlyoko going to guide for black bears for Skinner Creek Outfitters..Chilcotin Hillbilly..when the client from the Wounded Warriors couldn't clear customs.i was there so Doug and I headed out..Doug for a change was the hunter..he is certainly THE best outfitter and outdoors man I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and an honor to hunt with Doug.
    We were walking up a old trail when a bear did what they do the best. .he just appeared..was there.i raised the binos..Doug raised the rifle..he lowered the rifle commenting I don't know. .it's good but?
    I had the benefit of looking through binos through the open rd behind the bear..having done this exact scenario for decades the decision was pretty easy..immediate..
    Doug was far more experienced looking up a tree at a bear..and he didn't want just. .a bear nor a good bear..he wanted a great bear
    I merely said to Doug..one word...shoot ! Lol
    Doug remembered his advice. .don't guide the guide..and made a incredible shot..bear maybe went 10 feet?
    It was big..it was heavy..very heavy..it had character..scarred nose rips..either from aggravated sows or hostile adversaries..it had big head..big mitts..wonderful Chocolat color .exactly what CH"was after.Years of experience made the call fairly easy..and mere seconds..in time. Fully realizing Doug lofty limits..i repeat Doug was lifting and focusing on shooting..I had a much better view than Doug..and was from immediate encounter focused on said bear with Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL binoculars ..besides the repurcussions" on of being wrong were truly frightening..

The truly big ones look big...
    Thanks Doug one of the most enjoyable days of my life..you have provided many such memories.i thank you.
    Maybe Doug will post a photo..not my place
    Cheers
    Srupp

Great advice. I was taught more or less the same thing. I like the stove pipe legs description

When spring comes and i am in a meat crisis (empty freezer) i shoot any bear without cubs.

I used to over analyze this myself. but after several years of bear hunting and hundreds of bears in my bino's , its really a no brainer. WHEN YOU SEE A BIG ONE YOU'LL KNOW IT. my first indicator is the ears. like Srupp said, if he has what appears to be tiny ears, thats because his head is really big....
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

Find the crap, find a nice quiet corner to hide, wait for the bear ...shoot the biggest one - with no cubs.

I know it's simplistic, but especially early spring, the best feeding spots will be hogged by the big ones. You won't find any dinks in the sweet cabbage patches. They're chased away by the bullies. So, find the patch, you'll see fresh patties everywhere, if you don't see the bear he either winded you and bolted, or he's nearby dozing off digesting the meal. You got a choice to tip toe around, or find the vantage point with wind in your favour and wait.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Kind of a crappy pic, but this one qualifies as a big bear.

Darcy

Don't worry about getting a big bear. Get out there find one without cubs and harvest it. After you get a few under your belt you will figure it out. Most places let you harvest 2 per season anyway. If you only listen to the trophy bear hunters you may end up passing on animals that would make you very happy just because they don't meet someone else's criteria.