Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Identifying a Good Black Bear

Re: Identifying a Good Black Bear

Three years old not on gutpiles or fish. And a big hole thru and thru his heart now that's a good bear

Quote Originally Posted by northernbc View Post
    Three years old not on gutpiles or fish. And a big hole thru and thru his heart now that's a good bear
    This pretty much sums it up!

Tell it how it is!!!

Everyone's standards on what is a big bear are different mine personally are very high and has caused me to eat tags lol

lots of good info on this thread take note on Srupps posts. Like others have said if you see a truly big bear you will know.

For the most part the best way to judge bears is to see lots of them. Look at as many pics as you can will help but first hand is best. Big boars move different best way to explain it is they seem a little stiff with a bit of a pigeon toed walk. It's hard to explain but most experienced bear hunters have seen it and maybe someone here can explain it better.

I look at the front half of the bear like others said the front legs/shoulders will be more muscular. The neck is often the first give away to me if it is a boar no doubt longer than sow. The head like others have mentioned ears look small, crease is a good sign but have seen big boars with almost no crease, nose appearing short is often good but some bears have a longer face. I find the traits vary in different areas in BC so in my opinion you need to watch closely. I passed on a bear only to have a friend shoot it latter it went just shy of 20inch and the bear had a long face so it can happen. Never seen a big boar with big ears though

In the end if you don't think the bear in front of you would make YOU happy don't shoot. If you only have interest in a truly big bear be ready to let lots go. I hunted almost everyday from late April to the end of June last spring. Seen more bears than I could count but only 4 I would consider shooting and there is a ton of bears here. It's all about your personal standards some a big bear is 18+ others it is 20+. The nice thing about BC for a bear hunter there is lots of bears to choose from

Best way to learn is go with someone who is good a judging bears and have them teach you

Shoot what you are happy with and just don't pull the trigger if you have doubt. Bear meat tastes good so no real loss if you get ground shrinkage

I would assume that a younger bear would have less chance of trich and some other parasites as they have eaten less meals of meat (potential infection source)?...I would likely grind the whole thing so tenderness is not an issue...

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Didn't have to hesitate on this guy.

RC

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Don't worry about getting a big bear. Get out there find one without cubs and harvest it. After you get a few under your belt you will figure it out. Most places let you harvest 2 per season anyway. If you only listen to the trophy bear hunters you may end up passing on animals that would make you very happy just because they don't meet someone else's criteria.
    I think this is some of the best advice. You will benefit from what you learn when you shoot an animal, and bear meat is great. Be very certain there are no cubs kicking around.

SB

Bears!!!!.....all this talk about bears has me so damn excited.....going to be doing a week long trip with a buddy in hope then jumping on the ferry head to Courtney for another week long hunt for an island monster....ideally one with crossbow and one with 30-06...fack I'm excited!!!

Bigger trophy bears do not equal better eating. I prefer a younger midsize bear any day. Do your part and take 2.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

We cooked a bear roast last year that was some of the best meat i have ever eaten, period. SOOO good. And the hams!